Thursday, July 13, 2006

how were the sammies?



Kw starts off her Bistro 33 review with a mild slam on 33rd st. bistro that kind of irks me (the names sound sillily similar when you write them close together like that). Yeah, the food there is not that trendy and new and the menu doesn't change that often, which is exactly why I go there to have a reliably good meal (usually their nicoise salad) and a glass of wine when I'm doing my laundry. It's why I've gone there usually about once a month for a few years. Not every place downtown is totally trendy, which is good. I feel comfortable there, and like I wrote about Bistro 33, I felt uncomfortable and somewhat ignored there. But this is just a small difference of opinion, she must places she goes pretty often for reliably good sandwiches and salads (of course I go to Bernardo for that more often, partially because their prices are lower than 33rd st.). But just like last week, it seems like she gave it too many stars for what she said in her review. The star system is probably pretty annoying to work with and I guess they don't mean much.

And look, she talked to Daniel Pont from La Bonne Soupe, just like I did for midtown monthly in June. I agree with him about the sweetbreads, although I'm not an expert like he is because they were the first ones I've ever had. If I had started on bad ones I probably wouldn't have gone back. After all, (and you may want to avert your eyes here), they are the pancreas and thymus gland of a cow or pig.

Sammies winners here. Rock the light didn't win, but at least th' losin' streaks did. So the Secretions won the punk category, huh? Hmm..another year that the Bananas didn't win. Yet the Knockoffs have won so many times that they're in the hall of fame. Funny.

But it's not like the News and Review ignores the existence of this long-standing and more popular than ever band, after all they printed an article about them (by Tim White) in 2001. I was perusing that Razorcake interview again this morning in an effort to avoid re-reading the back of the cereal box and it's funny. I'll try to transcribe it sometime once the issue is off the newstands.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're a San Francisco band anyway.

-miller

Anonymous said...

I think SNR should switch to 5 stars for their restaurant reviews. In this case, 2 would seem a little harsh but 3 seems a little high seeing as that's only one from the top. I totally own this comment thread.

-miller

Anonymous said...

Maybe you would have won if you'd have had a song with a brilliant on-the-spot brass arrangement on one of your albums.

- Not Chris Olsen

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that Sir Olsen's brass services will be required on the upcoming concept record. Also, I think we have to get nominated in order to win. And I still own this thread.

miller

mt.st.mtn. said...

winning a sammie inducts you into the hall of shame. losin's streaks should give their's back.

werenotdeep said...

"Also, I think we have to get nominated in order to win. And I still own this thread."

Right, that's what I'm saying! Look how well it worked for the Foureyes!

- Still not me

KLJ said...

mt.st.mtn
Why exactly should the losin' streaks, and the rest of the folks who got an award not just enjoy their award?
I was on the nominating committee a couple of years back, and a-lot of people who really would have helped to nominate the bands you see getting passed on were too cool and so snubbed their invitation to be on the committee .

I must assume a-lot of these people also snub the voting.
Then they bitch when their tastes aren't represented.

I can tell you, there are quite a number of people at the News and Review who want, sincerely, to create a forum that will allow Sacramento's music fans to show some appreciation to their favorite bands.

It's a good thing, and if the people who want to see it get better would get involved, wich they're invited to do on many levels, it would get better.

Anonymous said...

That Evening Episode band was pretty sweet. They play alot around town but I had never seen em.

Didley Squats' keyboardist's acceptance speech was the best part of the whole show.

Crazy Ballhead was the most boring hip-hop I have ever witnessed. Seriously, 5 minutes of audience participation call and response:

Allright! Lemme hear ya say "SACRAMENTO!" (sacramento)
Okay, now people on the left hand side of the stage lemme hear ya say "SACRAMENTO!"
ugh.


But whatever. Anything beats being harassed by the Empire's security at lasts year's Sammies.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mister Jensen,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who snubbed the nominating and the voting. I didn't ask to be part of it, and I used to complain when they pester me to nominate and vote. I quit complaining and asking them to take me off since it didn't do any good. Now I just 86 them.

The only year I nominated bands I put down The Bananas and the 4 Eyes for everything. I also don't bitch when my tastes aren't voted -- I find all entertainment award ceremonies stupid.

Heckasac posted a picture of me at the Oscars laughing at the absurdity of it. There's a Keanu Reeves trying to horn in on my shot, but I'm still in there.

Entertainment award ceremonies are only good for elementary school students. Other than that, they make me feel embarrassed for everyone involved. Same thing as watching 7th Heaven.

Anonymous said...

it was interesting to see a bunch of acts I wouldn't usually encounter. Bright Light Fever was really good, and Be Brave Bold Robot was so bad that I wanted to start a blog just to bash on them.

beckler said...

what about crazy ballhead?

Anonymous said...

Smitty Wrote:

I also don't bitch when my tastes aren't voted -- I find all entertainment award ceremonies stupid.

Cool. I'm talking about those that do bitch. If you don't want to be a part of it, don't care about it, great. My response was to the idea that the folks who do recieve the awards should be ashamed. Some people liked said bands enough to vote for them after some other people nominated them. If I recieved such an award I would enjoy it. And if I didn't I don't imagine I'd be too bummed.

and Beckler, I thought Crazy Ballhead did really well. I like his band, and I thought he had a great stage presesnce though I was only able to catch the first song he did.

One other thought. It's too bad that it works this way, but getting awards helps get support to do bigger projects. I would love to get accepted into a film festival or otherwise recognized/rewarded when our panhandling doc is done. It means we'd be more likely to find funding for another project. I imagine its the same for bands.

Anonymous said...

As was easy to see by the massive protest outside, peaking at around 6 members, the SAMMIES discriminate against Kazoo bands and bands that call Fresno home. Broken Home finds this discrimination very sad and we hope this situation will be rectified. Any future nominating committee persons might remember what a great blow for diversity they could strike with a nod to the kazooalishes sounds of Broken Home.

Anonymous said...

The only problem with the sammy's , besides the Florida/Ohio type debacle that gave The Loosin' Streaks the sammy over Rock the Light, was the lack of grub for the bands. Dominoes pizza and Costco muffins? All gone by the time I snuck into the performers area? How are we ever gonna be a real city if our awards shows serve such blah food? seriously, I was quite impressed by the lack of posing or posuers there. It was nice to be reminded that folks in this town are chill and not interested in pointless impressions of coolness.

Anonymous said...

um, i'm in one of the bands...
said to me 1000 times that night
990 times in a snotty little voice.

the pistols got my vote for best looking girlfriends (all over 21, i saw them in the bar. ok)

was that, "when i say crazy" you say "ballhead" performing? or was mr p chill? where the fuck was sammy legond brother lynch,& where was that s.f. pimp dude? those r my 2 favs of the sammies...i was let down.

homz

but then d.s. brought me way way up. tore the roof off the mother as perhaps balhed would say "or spit even"(said in the voice of that cat on yogy bear)

~that cat on yogi bear

Anonymous said...

topcat