Thursday, July 27, 2006

never mind


Oops! Guess I made a little wrong turn there. What I meant to say is that the News and Review is practically perfect in every way. Just like Mary Poppins.

Damn, the Firehouse restaurant has an extensive website! Some might even say frivolously extensive in these trying times. The wine list is crazy. They have banyuls from 1949 for 75 a glass! Are they really going to open a bottle that's been aging since 1949 just to sell one glass? I'm asking MH for wine recs for when I go. Has anyone been there? What did you get? Good or bad?

Banderas was another place I was thinking of reviewing but they just got kinda trashed on chowhound. I didn't know it was a chain.

Also here's a link to a cute pic of Joanne Newsom, a confirmation that's she recording her new album with Van Dyke Parks, and mp3 of rough-sounding but good new songs.

7 comments:

cakegrrl said...

I told ya the wine list was rad.... :)

Anonymous said...

Re; Mary Poppins,
Strange, I thought a pretty good conversation was going there where the posters who disagreed with some of your points for the most part agreed that there were lots of good points made as well. I don't think anyone suggested what you're implying here.
Yes, I realize it's meant to be funny, but it just comes across as a flippant response to some people trying to intelligently discuss what you had posted. I'm surprised you're not excited to see such a discussion. I am impressed by it, as I often am impressed by the dialogues that go on on this site (even if I have to ignore a number of 'anonymous' posts.)
And if I'm just taking it all wrong, my apologies.

Stephen Glass said...

I haven't been to the Firehouse since I lived in Sac and it was still an old-school haunt where all the capital cronies went, and I'm told the menu's been totally redone by now, likely more than once. Some help I am, eh?

beckler said...

did you sit on the patio? was it nice? i was joking about m pop. i just wanted to publish a pic of julie andrews, my childhood idol

Stephen Glass said...

I went there mostly for lunch, and I think only once for dinner. I did sit out on the patio, and the place was swanky (even with a menu that was kinda circa 1973), some might even say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Anonymous said...

People say that the glory years of the firehouse are gone since the old chef (?) stopped working there. I just can't get over the really lame dishes pictured in this month's sac mag 287 best restaurants. A NY half cut with one onion ring around a spring of rosemary that's stuck into the uncut part of the steak with button mushroom and what looks like the tops of asparagus. I hope that's not the best they can offer.

werenotdeep said...

Man, I started actually working at work, and I miss so much! But well, I just realized that in every job that must be done, there is an element of fun; you find then fun, and snap! The job's a game!