Wednesday, July 12, 2006

zen toro

I'm about to go get my standard half fuji salad add tofu lunch at crepeville and I'm very excited about it, but before I go I thought I'd write a review of Zen Toro. I ate there for the very first time last night. Me and smiller tried to go to Mikuni cuz I never go there and it's kind of a novelty to me, and now with Taka's gone...sigh...anyway, upon entering Mikuni smelled like stale grease, the flat screens were all going, it was noisy, and people were lined up for a 20 minute wait. Why will people wait for this place? It is nothing special! So, we just had a pleasant walk to Zen Toro.

The food was EXCELLENT, but there were two drawbacks:
1)the big one, the seated us and then as I was trying to order the server rudely told us that they were closing soon. That sucked and made us feel uncomfortable. If they are going to do that they should just tell us they're closing and they can't seat us. Don't seat us and then act like you don't really want to serve us. I don't usually go to restaurants as they are closing but it's pretty weird for a sushi place to close so early (nine) and there were other people chillin'. In the end we only left a couple of minutes after the last party.
2)this same server was kind of clueless or pretending to be so so that she could rush us out. She could not tell me the difference between fresh water and salt water eel (I was curious to try something new) and then (I guess this is a third drawback but the food was so good I want to hold it down to two) they didn't have the special eel or a toro special that was on the board.

However, it was pleasant and quiet inside (except for their TV being tuned to King of the Hill, same as in Mikuni, why the fuck would anyone want to ever watch King of the Hill with the sound turned off, what is the point of that?!). We got a big hot sake for five bucks and two big rolls. One had hamachi and scallions and was quite good. The sushi rice at Zen Toro stands out as better than average. The second roll had tuna with poke sauce and unfortunately it was pretty bland because the poke sauce flavor was not strong enough. We also got nigiri. We got a seared beef one that was awesome, it had a spicy hot sauce on top and a strong beefy flavor. The texture and flavor of the smoked salmon nigiri was also excellent, and the unagi was the best I've had in ages. A big chunk of fresh, tasty eel. I would have liked to order more but we were being somewhat vibed out (another server we had was nicer and told us to take our time), but this place was really good and I'm going to add it to my sushi schedule.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank god downtown Sac is so fucking saturated with sushi that you need only walk a few blocks to find more. There's more sushi than starbucks at this point. I know its a bit ridiculous to complain, I like sushi but I also like other foods. and I hate the sad feeling of seeing a new place opening only to realize its more sushi.
I just need one good place and Mikuni to make fun of, thats all.
ohh forget it, even I am tired of hearing my own bitching. I am going to go grab a frappacino and a mayo filled "lets roll"
roll and get started picking out my luxury loft.
-natalie.

Anonymous said...

I hate to call you out on this, but you have missed the number one reason to go to Zen Toro. C'mon, if you've been there, you know, it's the amazing toilet/bidet. It's the best sushi place cause the fish is fresh and so is your ass after you've used that rad bathroom feature.

Miss B

Anonymous said...

Am I the only person who is utterly disgusted by the concept of the public bidet? They now have one at New Edokko as well and it deters me from using their toilet.

Anonymous said...

what is up with the sushi restaurant obsession with having tvs everywhere? If i wanted to watch tv i'd fucking stay home.

Anonymous said...

What's so great about a bidet? God gave you a left hand for a REASON.

--Lefty McButtwipe

beckler said...

i've never used a bidet, i never will, especially not a bidet at willy's, cut i know that when i die i'm gonna share a bathroom with the willy's guy

Anonymous said...

I hated it when they put all those TVs up in Taka's.

Josh said...

Natalie,

I'd just like to say that the idea of the "Let's roll" roll made today worth living.

Anonymous said...

Knowing the marketing machine that is Mikuni, I wouldn't be surprised if they did a study and found that having TVs prolongs guest visits and increases the average customer bill. Clearly, it's having just the opposite effect among this group.

Also, there's one soup you gotta get at Zen Toro! I can't remember what it's called, sorry, but it's delicious: full of chunks of fish, veggies, tons o' other surprises, and they drop an raw egg in it that gets cooked. It's a full meal by itself, not an appetizer. Comes in big bowl. The only sorta suspect participant is a couple/few slices of that fish cake that's dyed pink. Blech. But it's easily IDd for removal.

-Dave

Anonymous said...

Do they still serve breakfast at Zen Toro, home of the saltiest scrambled eggs in Sac?

beckler said...

I love that pink fishcake! I'll have to get the soup.

Anonymous said...

Josh,
Thanks for the shout out on the lets roll roll, I know it must exsist somewhere.
right?
Combining americas love of fighting terrorists and raw fish.
-natalie.

Anonymous said...

just to get the word out... Taka's has bought Zen Toro and will be coverting it to Taka's. For those who are Zen Toro fans, Masa Nishiyama still owns a store in Davis.

All of your favorite chefs from Taka's (Lou, Jason, Mike and Nao San) are all coming back. Taka's menu will be served. Look out for the comback of Taka's in September! Spread the word please! Thanks!