Friday, July 28, 2006

Wow. Maybe we should be fearing for our job.


She said it, not me.

I wanted to mention that I ate at Andy Nguyen's again the other day and the food came in a timely fashion and was really good. It's still lame that they stopped serving beer, though.

I had a lovely evening at the Waterboy, as usual. They had a special of oysters on the half shell. The mixed grill with lamb and sweetbreads was excellent, and the peach crostada dessert was amazing. When we were trying to pick dessert wines, I almost went with a 10 year tawny port, but then we noticed something called the Harbor Winery '84 Mission del Sol that was only 4.50 for a glass. We asked the waiter about it because we were intrigued by the price and because I couldn't tell what it was and he said it was a port from West Sacramento. I figured it would be gross but I was curious and had to try it. It turned out to be really good, with an insanely pecan-y, caramel-y aftertaste. We asked if we (I sound like Heyamoto, it was me and Scott) could look at the bottle. It had the label you see above which is so rad looking. The bottle confused things more because it said "Amador county" on it, yet said it was produced and bottled in West Sac and that it was a white dessert wine (even though it was an amber color). I can't believe an '84 vintage could be sold at such a cheap price! I tried to do a little research but haven't come up with much. I know you can get some of their wines at Corti's. Here's a little report I found online about their '76 vintage. I guess it's not fortified. I have to visit this place! Here's a quote from the online blurb:


Harbor Mission del Sol: I've not had this wine in some 15 yrs or so. It was made by Charlie Meyers at HarborWnry, down in West Sacramento on Harbor Blvd, in an old auto repair shop out back of Wingo & Sons Upholstery (least that was the business out front when I visited there in '74) from very old Mission vines on the Deaver Ranch. The grapes were left on the vine until they were raisened, then harvested to make a sweet (unfortified) dessert wine. When I visited Deaver Ranch in '75; the craggy/raw-boned Ken Deaver, Sr. was especially proud of gnarly/ugly old vines that dated before the turn of the century. I expect they're probably ripped out by now. In its youth, this wine was loaded w/ oak and had a very sweet very intense grapiness to it; a classic Calif cream sherry style of wine. It has matured into a pretty nifty old/elegant kind of cream sherry, more like an old oloroso. I still have a few btls left so we'll try one in another 15-20 yrs and report back.

And in a related note, the guy who drew the poster is named David Lance Goines and there are so many super cool posters on his website. Looks like he did the art for Chez Panisse, too. I love that '70s/Art Nouveau style. If you like it too he has hundreds posted on the website.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woah! What a crazy wine to come across. You should totally visit them and write about it!

The Misson grape is an important one for North and South America's viticultural history. It's the grape that the spanish missionaries planted up an down the two continents for sacramental wine. It's called Pais in Chile and Criolla Chica in Argentina, and it's one of the parents of the delicious Argentinian Torrontes grape. It's kind of pink-skinned, rather than definitively red or white.

The grapes were probably grown in Amador, then shipped to this dude's winery in West Sac, where he made the wine (crushed, fermented, aged, etc.). Lots of Napa wineries use Sierra grapes (esp. Zinfandel) and advertise that fact on the label, in which case it will say both nameplaces.

Both red and white wine becomes brown (or brown-ish) with age, due to oxidation. Aged white wine can turn absolutely beautful colors!

-michele

Anonymous said...

You have made me very happy.

Best Sac never fails to stun and excite me. Speaking of, I found a secret "tobacco accesories" source on West Capitol the other day.


gbomb

Josh Nice said...

my childhood friend's crazy mom was friends with david lance goines from the old days. she had a stash of like 200 of his posters and print jobs under her bed, all really cool stuff. he even made her wedding invitations.

FUCK I AM SO MAD that i can't see that nar show. happy bday beckles. pour a beer in the stony ridge fountain for me.

beckler said...

I tried to pour a beer in the fountain but I ended up accidentally pouring it in my mouth. I saw some videotaping going on, so there may be a youtube clip coming soon? Niki?

beckler said...

oh yeah, and hook me up with a goines print!