Tuesday, February 28, 2006

joesphine at big sur



I'm really flattered that Rush Limbaugh himself weighed in on the homeless problem at the end of that Paesanos post. He totally opened my eyes about it. I never noticed how LAZY the mentally ill are. We should probably find some way to harness them to some type of farm machinery or just use them for medical experiments or something cuz it just burns me up when I see one of them loafing around having a good time on my tax dollars. I bet that guy who had diarrhea on Rush's stoop was probably having a laugh while he was doing it. Because we all know how fun it is do be so ill that you have to shit out in public.

Maybe I shouldn't have included this in my review of Josephine Foster's show at Big Sur because I am stoked that her message board linked to my last one and if they link to this one they're going to be confused. Oh well. The Fernwood Lodge in Big Sur is an interesting place to see a show but it has drawbacks. 1) some of the staff is surly and so are the many of the locals (probably because they are forced to pay 10 bucks for their local hangout and they think the bands that play are freaky and weird) 2) said surly locals talk loudly during the bands so if they are quiet bands it is very distracting 3) a DJ plays loud world music between the bands and hippy dance circles start. Despite that, Josephine was mesmerizing once again. She played almost the exact same set she played in Davis, but I didn't mind. She looked so cool in a ruffly purple rayon shirt and red cords tucked into high suede boots. Both members of Born Heller seemed quite tired because they had just played Arthurball in L.A. the night before and the other bands at Fernwood (who were all crappy) played until after midnight. But I love watching her play and I never get bored. Heargin her unearthly voice soaring just makes my ears feel great. I feel sad thinking that after seeing her play twice in a week that it may be quite awhile before I see her play again. Hopefully she won't start dating Bill Callahan and only playing with Smog a la Joanna Newsom. I picked up her CD "hazel eyes, I will lead you" and I love it. And when I was having a fainting spell outside Josephine herself stopped to ask if I was OK, which makes me cringe because she probably just thought I was wasted.

I also have an advance copy of the new Fiery Furnaces courtesy of smiller and what I've heard sounds great. Kinda on the Blueberry Boat tip (Maxwell, you'll love it) but less proggy and with more poppy parts. Genius! Smiller, you should write a real review if you have time!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you believe I've lost my copy of Blueberry Boat? Damn.

In other optomistic news, I think music is at a new high with bands like Animal Collective and the Fiery Furnaces around. And I'll say it... Animal Collective is the trippiest band ever. Take that Pink Floyd!

Get ready for your blog to blow up after that last comment. Shoooot.

-heckamax

ACK said...

I will miss your blog, but I understand if you need to take a break.
Ally

Anonymous said...

As a concerned citizen, I would like to go on record as completely disagreeing with your choice to discontinue this blog. I feel it has brought about so much good for so many people and been a very positive thing for Sacramento.

However, as a friend, and one of the many people in town that cares for you Heckasac, I understand.

Talk About Charles

Anonymous said...

With all due respect, Beckles, you're internalizing the thing way too much. Yeah, it has turned into something bigger and heavier than you intended, but the problems that come up on the blog, the issues, don't have to be yours. It's a community that sprung up because you were in the right place at the right time.

If you can stomach it, start a website that's for everyone, and that doesn't appear to revolve around just you. Maybe something with a small team of editors? Or why not just hand it off as-is? I love reading it every day, and I hate to see it go.

Anonymous said...

With all due respect Wait a sec, I think you are diminishing Beckler's accomplishment! It's not just a matter of "right place at the right time", as it was steady posting with good writing about interesting shit, which not just anyone can pull off.

Just sayin',
Michele

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, that too. thanks michelle.

cakegrrl said...

No more Heckasac? That's it, I am asking Heyamoto "What's up with that?"

Without your restaurant reviews (which is mainly why I read religiously) lot of bad food will happen to good people!

Beckler, thanks for making me laugh on a daily basis, and I hope you continue some sort of blog even if it is a different format...

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, that too. thanks michelle.

Anonymous said...

I dug the food reviews as well!

I do hope you decide to return, just for those!

Stephen Glass said...

I know; I'd even got back to thiking about eating as a result of all the culinary writing and reviews. Now that's on hold, but I'll get around to it. I hope to see you return; all the harping of a bunch of anonymous angry white male basement boys (interspersed, mind you, with the excellent commentary and pithy observations from all you other fine folks, and you know who you are) can be the kind of thing one needs a break from.

Stephen Glass said...

Thinking. Thiking about eating is what I meant. No thiking. That's not what I seek.

Anonymous said...

Don't know if anyone will even notice this, but what with the recent Altman lovefest, I thought some folks might be interested to here there's a Robert Altman "blogathon" going on this weekend. Here's a site with more details...

http://mattzollerseitz.blogspot.com/

Don't blame you for needing a rest, Beckler, but hope you'll be back before too long...

J.

werenotdeep said...

Okay, I'm going to miss the Heck Blog a lot too, but this:

"wait a sec said...
With all due respect, Beckles, you're internalizing the thing way too much. Yeah, it has turned into something bigger and heavier than you intended, but the problems that come up on the blog, the issues, don't have to be yours. It's a community that sprung up because you were in the right place at the right time.

If you can stomach it, start a website that's for everyone, and that doesn't appear to revolve around just you. Maybe something with a small team of editors? Or why not just hand it off as-is? I love reading it every day, and I hate to see it go."

Is like...whatever. Editors? Hand-it-offs? Okay, let's remember here, folks, Ms. Heckasac isn't getting a dime from this, and to take it to that kind of level would just be too much work for her, and whatever suckers would be jack fool enough to cohort with her. I mean, if they somehow manage to do it, Great! I'm all for it! How are they going to find the time and energy?

Heck was able to do this in her free time and on a whim. Sure, not that there wasn't some organization in it, but still, she was her own "boss" and didn't have to wait for other people to be late on her.

Of course, maybe if you want to see so many ad banners that you'll hate reading Heckasack, then maybe it might be worth their while.

And please do not confuse what I have said for saying that Heck's entries were half-assed and effortless. Far from it. But you take it to that next level where it's a team thing, it's when it's starting to get too serious, and either she's going to need the startup capital and more time to make it her actual second job, or it'll be damn near a miracle if it works.

Maybe if you (Heckasack) could find a way to avoid the "hot" issues. Because face it people, even though there's no rational reason that Heck should be blamed for what she reports, she does anyway, and it's got to take a lot out of the poor lass. It's just an ugly fact of life.

Of course it shouldn't be that way, but well, wish in one hand and shit in the other...ya know what I'm saying?

Ya know, but if stuff that maybe really does deserve a voice and that nobody else will report about doesn't get reported any more, that's really sad, true. But look what it does to the Heckster. Would you want to do that? Hell, she's shown way more fortitude than I could, that's for sure.

But would it be an unpardonable crime if we still got Charles Albright interviews, restaurant reviews, show reviews and the like, but maybe not so much "touchy" stuff?

People are going to say that that's weak. Granted, that's perhaps in a sense true, but it's also not really fair for so much flak and negativity being aimed at Heckasac.

I would really like to see the blog continue, though. But well, I'm just sayin' I understand.

Anonymous said...

Bottom line - your site should go private. Keep it to the people you can trust.

-- Patrone

Anonymous said...

"wondering if I came off as pretentious or arrogant or bitchy or mean"

Yes--when you took out comments you dont agree with because you disagree. Go private. Spare us normals the rose colored glassy eyed over the hill fake hipster feel good drivel.

Anonymous said...

the other (um, non crappy) bands that played that night in Big Sur were:

The Alps (Best of 2008 SF Weekly)
http://www.sfweekly.com/2008-12-24/music/top-ten-in-2008/


The Last of The Blacksmiths
http://www.myspace.com/lastoftheblacksmiths


btw: it was a Born Heller show (with Josephine Foster)

just sayin'