Friday, February 11, 2005

Fetus party

I had my second dream about Jessica Simpson last night. In the last one, I was a sex therapist who looked like Jessica Simpson and my client was Justing Timberlake (hot!). Last night, I dreamed that I was at a party with Nick and Jessica and I committed a major faux pas by relating a gossip item (which is real and which i read yesterday) in which Nick was busted trying to give his phone number to some ladies. Needless to say, the party got awkward, and Jessica was super pissed. Nick however, was really cool about it and helped me clean out my refrigerator. I was starting to sense some real sexual tension between me and Nick when my roomate slammed the door and woke me up. Do celebrity guest stars make it more interesting when you tell your dreams? I hope so.

Anna alerted me to an item yesterday in the Bee that involves a woman that people we know went to primary school with:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/12291773p-13155557c.html
The reason they went to primary school and not high school with her is a gut-wrenching tale but one that I can't relate in this forum. Suffice to say, their political protesting style is not the only odd thing about them.

I went to Bernardo's yesterday for the first time in a while and it was delicious as usual. A bit overpriced, yes, but I will pay because I can pretty much count on anything I order to be good.

There's a party tonight that promises: the Jay and Joel show, the Feeling, dancing, fetus puppets, and Becky worrying that the place will catch on fire and/or the floor will collapse. In fact, the worrying has already commenced so I will be sure not to get stoned so that I won't have to sit outside all night like I did at the last Bananas show. See you there!

Goddamnit! I forgot to read that Jackson Griffith letter in the SN&R. So I can't report on the simmering feud unless someone fills me in.

I am thinking of a lunchtime outing with coworkers to Nationwide since the boss is AWOL, but it all depends on whether a certain Mr. Mouse dies or not. I may stand near him and subtly whisper "go towards the light" to increase my chances. Speaking of burgers, Jim Denny's is for sale for the bargain price of 50 grand. I have never eaten at this place due to its limited hours Is it all it's cracked up to be, readers? The original owner died a while back so I'm wondering if it has gone downhill. The Bee reports that a Japanese resaurant called Kru will replace the late, unlamented nasty Asian-fusion joint J. Lee. One of the owners will be a former owner of Taka's.

Graswich keeps milking the same cow with a third mention of unruly crowds in Coach Carter. Today, he has a lady saying that all Sac movie audiences are rude. Last night I saw Million Dollar Baby (the less said about that movie, the better) and there was an old couple behind us in which the lady was maddeneningly yet somehow endearingly yakking the whole time. She'd do things like if the name of the gym was shown she'd read it out loud and say "hit pit gym". Thanks, lady.

11 comments:

leon said...

Seems like simply putting up a large sign on your front lawn that says: "the troops are being hung out to dry and billions of taxpayer dollars are being spent to send Americans over to Iraq to die. " would have done the job without going over people's heads...

I'm 100% against the war, and I get what they were trying to say, but if you want to convey a message to the morons who support it, you gotta market your idea in a way that's down on their level. Like that guy in davis with the "do your country a favor...shoot a liberal" (or something like that) Or the people with the "God hates fags" sign. I totally know what they are trying to convey.

Anonymous said...

I guess I've been expecting Jim Denny's to close down for a while. It just seems logical in the Sac progression of things. If it's still open, you should definitely go there if you've never been. It's good & also just heckasac. The Flame Club should buy it.
I was in J. Lee a few years ago with Lisa & the constantly-wine-drunk Jason Lee kept looking at me & saying "Lisa, you're boyfriend's not good looking". Then, a minute later, as if he'd forgotten already, he reminded her "why are you with him - he's not handsome". Shit, we were the ONLY people in there! Don't make us want to leave. Suffice to say, I dance on your shitty restaurant's grave, wine-dog!
miller

Anonymous said...

I hope someone buys Jim Denny's and retains all of the charm of it. I remember not being all that impressed with their burgers, but I loved it anyway. 50K seems like a deal, no?

Anna

beckler said...

Anna, you should get investors together and buy it and add healthy sandwiches or salads to the menu.

I agree with Leon, I think those two could have protested in a more effective way. It is kinda funny that some guy fell off their house when he was trying to cut the soldier down.

beckler said...

Oh yeah, and double fuck J. Lee for being a dick! The meal that Homzee and I had there was one of the worst, most amateurish meals, ever!

Anonymous said...

50 grand is pretty cheap but then again, Jim Denny's is super tiny. But a healthy, mainly take-out place would blow up, no question.

And speaking of Bernardo & how it's slightly pricey, have you noticed their Sacramento Magazine 'Best Of' award in the hall? 'Best Inexpensive Eats'. Welcome to new Sac.

miller

beckler said...

Inexpensive? My salad sampler and glass of wine (with nothing else, no bread, nothing) was over 16 bucks.

Anonymous said...

I guess that's cheap compared to Paragary's or Waterboy or whatever restaurant's are on their radar. Can I say that I love Sacramento magazine. It's like a monthly cheerleading squad for Sac! Every single issue for years has been a 'top ten...' or 'best of...' something or other in Sac. I look forward to seeing what they pull out of their hat each month. I did find it kinda cool that they did a page about the Red Square in their 'best restaurants' issue. It was like a writers choice or something but they gave it nice props & commented on the nice staff which made me picture them catching Tristan in super-friendly
mode.

miller

Anonymous said...

Ride, Sally, rideRe “Entertainment and damnation” by Christian Kiefer (SN&R Clubber, January 27):

Reading this column was like watching a frustrated scoundrel kick a dog: It is painfully apparent that the kicker is angry about something, but you know the dog doesn’t deserve it.

Not that local musician Melonnee DesireĆ© is any kind of pooch, but Kiefer sure treated her like one. A cursory visit to her Web site, however, turned up the following information: She’s been playing music since her teens, she sometimes performs her own compositions, she’s recorded two CDs of her own material, and she plays in a cover band called Sassback, which Kiefer reviewed.

A simple Google search using “John Covert” and “music” unearthed the fact that Covert has a long history of playing music in the Central Valley, dating back to his band Crystal Image in the late 1960s. While neither are paragons of the indie-rock coolness at whose hallowed altar Kiefer seems to worship, both are worthy of respect, even if they play cover songs.

Blinding flash of the obvious: Not everyone insists on watching bands that write their own stuff. Some folks prefer to dance, drink, talk and hit on each other, and the band provides background noise and a beat. Yes, sometimes the guitar solos are pedestrian, the songs are threadbare, and the band appears to be phoning it in. That shouldn’t surprise anybody, much less a music critic like Kiefer.

One more thing: “Mustang Sally”? Kiefer has a problem with Wilson Pickett? Mercy.

Jackson Griffith
Sacramento

beckler said...

Hey, thanks. I just read this at murder burger, too. It really does seem like he's being sarcastic. I can't tell.

Anonymous said...

Jim Denny's at 816 12th Street is alive and well... Stop by! Currently we are serving breakfast on Saturdays from 6am-11am, Open Monday thru Friday 6am - 3pm