Tuesday, February 22, 2005

How many fans?

I still need to do a weekend wrap-up, but I couldn't let this slide by. The Bee had this article on the front page a couple of days ago: http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/12408958p-13265290c.html The headline is: Wal-Mart has some city fans. It should be: Wal-Mart has one city fan. That's right. They talk to one person who wants a Wal-Mart and then the spokesman for Wal-Mart, who is unsurprisingly a "fan". The one Wal-Mart lover is on a tight budget and needs to buy school clothes for her kids. I understand this. My advice would be go to Target or the Goodwill or Salvation Army. Secondhand stores have good kid clothes at prices even cheaper than Wal-Mart. There is also a Kmart on Stockton (right across from Thriftown so you can hit both). I bet the clothes at Kmart are mere pennies more than those at Wal-Mart. So there is my advice for you, Susan Trevino of mid town. This way there is no chance that the small retailers in the area will be driven out of business. As for the headline, it is clearly misleading. I think what this really reflects is that many people were annoyed by the council's desire for upscaleness in one of the most blighted areas in the city. If they had chosen their words better, everyone would be united behind them in keeping Wal-Mart out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chain stores I'd rather see in Downtown Plaza than yet another crappy walmart:
Restoration Hardware
Apple
Kohl's
Federated
JoAnn's
A-1 comics
Build A Bear
Anything run by the Hawaiian Mafia

Besides, where will the RVers park their winnebagos?

~Amelie, Walmartian Watcher

Anonymous said...

I think one Apple store is enough for Sacto.
I do with there was an electronics store with crap like optical mice and USB extension cables downtown.

Anonymous said...

Metro Electronics at 19th & J might have that kind of stuff. I finally went in there & was blown away by all the gadgets they had. I got a pretty obscure adapter there. I'm getting way in to obscure adaptors.

miller

beckler said...

obscure adaptors: hot
common raptors: not

sorry hawks! you are so '04