Thursday, February 24, 2005

Sactowns finest

The brats are momentarily occupied...So they traded C-Webb? This is why I can't really get into pro sports. I still haven't gotten over the Vlade trade. I know that that was a good trade, but I liked watching more because of the interplay of personalities, and the idea that the Kings should win cuz we had more heart. Because when you come right down to it, these guys (with one important exception) really don't represent Sacramento in any real way and have no connection to the city. So I need a different personal reason to care if they win. I don't care if a bunch of multimillionaires who can't stand each other take us to the finals. Which brings me to the trade of Matt Barnes! The one guy that was from Sac. How can you trade him, he has a fucking "Sactowns finest" tattoo! But the NBA is a business, and that kind of thing doesn't count for shit, which I can't get behind. I know that the true sports fans reading this will scoff because I'm being unrealistic, but for me, my emotional involvement with the Kings has reached its nadir. I hope I used that word right. As Dan Barnes said, this move means they are basically handing the team to Peja to lead, and has he given any indication lately that he is ready for this kind of responsibility?

Oh yeah, saw the Darger movie. It's good, especially if you haven't really seen his artwork before. It makes him seem less creepy, which may be a more accurate view. I read an interview with the woman who directed it and she said that she feels museums misrepresent him because they focus on the small segment of his work that included violent images. Check it out soon, though. I think it's gone on sunday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Team chemistry and playing style/vibe were what made the Kings not just another NBA team. As for Matt Barnes, well, a certain well-know Sacto club dj was talking the other night about how he went to high school w/ Matt, and how Matt was generally an arrogant prick that was hated by many. Eh.
- darin

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean Becky. I grew up watching and loving pro football. It wasn't that long ago in most pro sports that players and coaches spent their whole careers with one team. With football it was so tiring trying to get aquainted with all the new players every year, I just gave up. Baskteball is a little better because the teams are smaller and you can really see the players and get more of a sense of their personalities, which I think really is an important part of the game. I've just had to alter the way I enjoy basketball now. I try to get into the strategy of all the trading and stuff which is kind of exciting too. And just think, maybe we won't be stuck with double ought Oystertag forever.

Heather

Anonymous said...

Another new arena deal is off the table (strike 3), major player trading going on... are these precursors to either a pending sale of the team or relocation to another city???
-Erik