Monday, February 28, 2005

so so many new new posts

One last thing about the Oscars, although I did pick the Swank to win best actress (which contributed a point towards me WINNING THE TOWER OSCAR POOL), it was genuinely painful to watch the clips of the much better actresses (especially the lady in Vera Drake), and then see her win for her horrible hillbilly schtick. I can't even talk about the "i'm just a little girl from a trailer park" thing. As I was drifting off to sleep, it came to me that her dress was like a mullet, business in the front, party in the back, but I saw that this morning the girls with that fugly blog beat me to the punch with that line.

Went to the so so many white white tigers show in Davis on friday. I recommend catching this band if you can. They are quite entertaining and good. It's too noisy to be something I would listen to on record, but the frontwoman is crazy a la Karen O and the guitar sounded amazing, kinda like a plane crashing or something. The lady threw beer into the audience and I really hate that. At least she poured beer on herself first.

Later that night, after about an hour of arguing over whether or not we should go, Mike and I went to the new fuck fridays in the Tower Club (or Monsoon or Meat Market or whatever the fuck its name is now). It was medium crowded and somewhat entertaining. I didn't really like what the DJ was playing and it was disheartening to me to see the dance floor get crowded for Huey Lewis and the Misfits. I know some people reading this will think that that sounds good, but it's just not to my personal dancing tastes. All in all, not the best, but it was nice to have something to do on a friday night.

On saturday I went to King Skate. Do not go rollerskating on a saturday, because believe it or not the place will be packed with children. They were cute and all, but at any given time, at least 18 of them would be falling down simultaneously all over the rink. It was like skating on an obstacle course, and I'm not a very good skater to begin with. And boy are these kids ever brats. Skating the wrong way, roughhousing, playing keepaway, you name it. One kid knocked the birthday girl staight on her ass while we were standing by the pinball games. He fell too, so we all stood over him and called him, variously, a little brat and a little shit. Someone may have said "I'm going to kill you". It was all in the heat of conflict, so exact terms are fuzzy. He threatened to go get his mom. Then five minutes later he was at it again and didn't seem to remember we had just been yelling at him. Kids these days.

8 comments:

Alice said...

believe it or not, Kings Skate can also be a meat market of the statutory variety. I had my 26th b-day party there and a 16 year old boy hit on me even after the DJ announced how old I was.

beckler said...

Did anyone notice how freaky Zellwegger is trying to win Jack White back by looking exactly like Meg White? Except for the sour lemon face of course.

ACK said...

I thought Swank's dress was odd as well. It looked like it was on backwards. I kept wanting to turn it around.

Anonymous said...

Aaahh..King Skate! I spent so many Fridays and Saturdays there from ages 11-13! That's where I had my first kiss. I was so so many inches taller than Brian (can't remember his last name) so I waited until I had my skates off and he still had his on to go for the big P-E-C-K!

Oooooohhhhhhh....So that's why Zellwegger looked so wierd. She seems trippy. I beat Ben in our Oscar poll, even though I switched my vote for Eastwood to Scorcese at the last minute because I couldn't let myself believe that they would deprive him of an Oscar again!

-michele

Anonymous said...

Good god, that butchering of the beautiful motorcycle diaries song by Antonio Banderas and Carlos Guitarlos was the worst thing I've ever seen/heard. I was so happy that the guy actually won though and I loved that his acceptance speech was just him singing his song, as if to say "this is how it is suppose to sound." It was my favorite oscar moment this year.

Heather

Anonymous said...

I know! Banderas was so bad!!!!!

-michele

ACK said...

That is so funny Heather! That is exactly what I was saying to my roommate. The poor guy who wrote the song must have been horrified hearing his music butchered.

Anonymous said...

That's funny about the 'diaries' song. I hadn't heard it before and I thought it was terrible. We were all laughing at the person who picked it in our Oscar pool. Now I want to hear the real version.