Friday, February 18, 2005

See this movie

Oh my god! The Henry Darger movie opened at the Crest today. You must see this movie, and quick, because I predict it may only last a week. Darger was one of the most fascinating "outsider" artists of all time. I saw his exhibit in NY and the art was breathtaking. The colors and the way he painted the scenery especially. Here's a web page about him: http://www.saraayers.com/darger.htm
Hopefully, the movie will do his work justice. His drawing were over six feet long and quite intricate so I don't know if it can be captured on film.

4 comments:

Josh said...

I don't mean this to be prejudicial but the Henry Darger movie fucking sucked. I actually fell asleep during it. There just isn't that much known about him so there is all that much material. Also, the filmaker fucks around with the paintins with animation and it just doesn't work.

Anonymous said...

I have had my reservations about the Darger movie. I am a big fan of the art but the intellectual viewing of outsider art leaves me with a weird uncomfortable feeling.
Plus, joshs review sounds like nothing I want to see.

beckler said...

Man, I was afraid of that. The feeling I got from the exhibit was that it was a mystery that would never be cracked because no one knew about his art until he died. And animating it is a horrible idea. I'll still see it because it's free, though.

Josh said...

I really need to do some better proofreading.

Ok, one thing I didn't say was that the Darger movie has been held over here in NY for a month so some people must have liked it.