Tuesday, April 12, 2005

dud show

So I flyered a couple of blocks around my house with that Sac PD press release for the rape. People really noticed when I was putting them up, and it was cool to interact with my neighbors and talk about it. I gave the flyer to this group of three pre-teen girls and told them to be careful and they were really nice about it. The weird thing is that I started to get really paranoid that the rapist would see me and target me for doing this. A guy walked past me that looked like the guy in the sketch, without the mustache (and he has most likely shaved that off if he's seen the sketch). This guy looked like a state worker walking to his car, though. And then a guy with a mustache, but who didn't really look like the sketch was lurking at the school and kept staring at me. That freaked me out, and what the fuck was who doing at the school, anyway? So many creeps. I'll probably flyer farther out after work today.

After a hearty serving of beef wellington (which, for those of you who don't know, is filet mignon, topped with pate and sauteed mushrooms, and surrounded by a puff pastry shell), made for me by one of Sacramento's hottest new chefs, I went to the Jennifer Gentle show at the Fool's Foundation. This show was a good example of why I almost never go to a show on a week night. I was really fooled into thinking that I could see the band and still be asleep by midnight. Ha. The first performer (Dead Western) started at 10:00. Now, as Thumper sez in "Bambi", "mama says if you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothin' at all" and I always take the advice of cute bunnies, so I'm not going to say anything. Well, one thing. Regardless of the quality of his performance, I think anyone would agree that for a solo performer whose musical pace is glacially slow, performing for an hour is a bit of a stretch. I went inside for the last song because it was so cold outside and when I noticed the hushed tone I was worried that the people inside had heard my loud kvetching. By the time Jennifer Gentle took the stage I was itching to go. They sounded good, but were also slower than I had expected, and when the third song turned out to be one of those slowly building, floaty, spacey kind of songs I cut out. Kind of a dud show. For me.

Does anyone else hate the New Yorker music critic (Sasha Frere-Jones) besides me? There is a big article on Slint in this week's issue. I've never heard Slint before, but there is this irritating thing in the article where, as Slint is playing at Irving Plaza, Sasha is furiously scribbling the mental images that come to his mind, which range from like atomic bombs falling, to deer pooping in the forest, or something. I'm totally misquoting but whatever he wrote is equally stupid. This week's (April 11th) issue is great, though. A return to form for the first time in months.

9 comments:

Footprint said...

and if you screw up the wellington it's called Beef Welling-Hat...

Anonymous said...

I can't say that I know this Frere-Jones character from a hole in the wall but I can imagine.
Slint used to be my favorite band in the world about ten years ago and I have always been irritated by the sort of writing people do about them,
that said I sort of hate writing about music alot of the time.
Unless its me, I am always right.

-lester head

beckler said...

I am realizing that I often hate writing about music, too. C.K., what do you think about Frere-Jones? You must have an opinion.

Anonymous said...

Since Slint's reunion I have been revisiting Spiderland and I find it pretty good. You may "borrow" it if you want or I can have Dannystyle copy it for you.

Jennifer Gentle's first two songs were great. Then they spaced out for half an hour which would have been cool if I had heard two or three more songs that were in the style of the first.

Did anyone buy an album? Paul? Miller?

-heckamax

Anonymous said...

I know - after I fully realized that that jam was going to just go on & on I got annoyed. It really was a half hour long! The second song in particular was great - but what the hell?! Soloing for half an hour with your back to the audience? That's for stoney practice, not a paying show! I came to get fucked, not watch you masturbate dammit! The worst part is that they have songs that they could've played & didn't. That's almost worse than sucking. I seriously had to resist the urge to ask them to please just play a song! And then the 4th song (aka the last song) started to take shape & then went back in to a jam! I could've listened to Saucerfull Of Secrets at home! Jay was telling me they were freaked out that there were no monitors or anything - so maybe that's why they jammed so much. At least people showed up.

miller

Anonymous said...

Italians always fuck things up.

beckler said...

I like watching Italians masturbate. But that's just my thing.

Anonymous said...

But only to spaced out jams, right?

Brew

beckler said...

nah. whenever.