Monday, April 25, 2005

Homoerotic weekend


I know you're looking to me to brighten up your dreary monday, but guess what? I'm having my own dreary monday around here and I didn't do jack shit this weekend to write about. But thanks for asking. Are there any parties coming up? Doesn't anyone in this town throw parties anymore? Just a few months ago there was a great streak of parties and I loved it. I did go to a going-away party for Allen, Sarah, and Lola. It was very mellow but nice to get to say goodbye. I drank five Pabsts in quick succession and wanted it to be a dance party really bad but it just wasn't gonna happen. Alice was my only ally in this quest, but the mood was wrong for dancing.

At least there's some cool crap coming up this week. The Fiery Furnaces are tomorrow. LCD Soundsystem is on the Letterman show on Wednesday. I just checked the undie list and it seems that Six Organs of Admittance is playing a house show on saturday. Isn't this guy supposed to be good? There was some funny discussion on the undie list of where the TAHTUL ETTERNUHTEE FHEHSTT house is. The Bee had a little blurb about the Fool's Foundry in a short feature on all ages venues. I was surprised to see the Bee was so up on things. And Rachel Leibrock didn't write it, either.

I'd say the highlight of my weekend was the homoerotic wrestling scene in the Ken Russell movie "Women in Love". This movie is ridiculously pretentious and makes no sense at all, but I loved it. Ken Russell movies are so insane. This made me want to read the D.H. Lawrence book that the movie is supposedly based on. Why hasn't anyone ever told me how fine Oliver Reed is? Were you all hiding this secret from me? Maybe I'm alone on this. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to ever have been in any good movies. I guess he was just mostly known for his drinking and fighting. He was seriously injured during the making of the Three Musketeers when he got stabbed in the neck. Apparently when he was filming "Gladiator" he died of a heart attack in a bar after getting wasted and arm wrestling.

The lowlight of my weekend came when I was out at my family's home in Lincoln (which they just sold, goodbye childhood home) and I stepped on something squishy and looked down to find out that I had just stepped on a dead mole. I still have the heeby jeebies when I think about it. I can't help but feel that the rodents are getting their revenge on me. But I work with voles, not moles! They're different!

6 comments:

Alice said...

my mom is going to sell my childhood home in the next year and it really does my head in. allan was playing a good set of dance-worthy songs so i'm not sure why we were the only people feelin' the groove.

beckler said...

Probably because we were the two drunkest people at the party. Well, besides Lola. She was wasted.

Anonymous said...

My heart seriously broke when my childhood home was sold. You need to drink it off or step on another mole.

-heckamax

Alice said...

you know, i actually was one of the more drunk people at the party. but that didn't stop me from getting on the roof with sarah. however, this is probably why i passed out on their bed next to their cat toots. Lola was hecka wasted. I mean, how else can you get THAT excited about the theme song to The Neverending Story?

Anonymous said...

I would have danced with you two for sure. I am so sad that I missed the going away party.
Ps: Sac is needing a dance party to happen soon. hint hint...
RM

Anonymous said...

Hey, Beckler.
Your house used to be a dance-party house. I tried to convince DB that it was a good idea--but he didn't seem to thrilled by the idea. Miss Self and I even offered to help clean!
ES