Monday, April 11, 2005

Pin A Go Go!

There are a lot of fun weekends coming up. The first weekend in may is the Dixon May Fair. Willie Nelson is on saturday and Lynyrd Skynrd is on sunday. The next weekend after that (May 13th, 14th and 15th) is the Pin a Go Go. It's early this year, so hopefully it won't be as hot. For those of you that haven't been, Pin a Go Go is an exhibition of new and antique pinball machines and you can play them all for a flat fee! This year saturday is ten bucks, friday and sunday are five, but it's only open 10 to 4 on sunday. I love Pin a Go Go because I'm so horrible at pinball that I always lose within a minute, but this way I can play for as long as I want. And it has all the cool games, like Night Rider, the Guns and Roses game, etc.

On the music front, the Fiery Furnaces are coming up soon(April 26th) and I just found out that the Queens of the Stone Age are coming to the Empire, so I guess I'll finally get to see that venue. I've heard bad things. The show is may 31st, and tix go on sale on the 16th. You can get them at the Beat.

I hope everyone has seen the Rock the Light cover and interview in Alive and Kicking. It is so fucking funny! I am going to try to transcribe it for those who live out of town and can't get their hands on a copy, but I can't do this at work so I'm not promising anything.

I'll post again later.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't miss this golden opportunity to yell "Free Bird" unironically!

After Saturday's Bananas show where "Don't Fear The Reaper" was "requested", I thought maybe that could be the new Free Bird. It's suitably mediocre. But who am I kidding? Free Bird is the new Free Bird.

miller

Anonymous said...

Someone should cover "Eye in the Sky" by the Alan Parsons Project.

Anna

Anonymous said...

The best thing about "dont fear the reaper" was how it was played in the commercial for the recent Mork and Mindy tell-all tv movie.

Anonymous said...

Anna, nothing would make me happier than covering "Eye in the Sky." I un-ironically love that song, most especially the verse parts. And with some more stripped down production people would be able to hear the true nature of that song, which is greatness.

Heather

beckler said...

I totally love that song, too. I love any spacy 70s soft rock like that. I recently went on a quest for it after hearing it in the supermarket and I was pretty surprised it was the Alan Parsons project. It's such a coked-out song. I confess that I've even tested that hunch out, and it caused me to listen to at least 3 times in a row. On the soft rock tip (I just re-read this and I can't believe I just wrote that phrase, but I did so I guess I'll leave it in), I am preparing to make a Nilsson comp for Smashing Times, hopefully soon.

Anonymous said...

I was way in to Eye In The Sky as a kid! I was just thinking about songs you love when you're little because I heard that Rod Stewart song "you're in my heart, you're in my soul..." at the bagel shop just now & I rembered how mad I was for it when I was a kid.

When I went & saw the Zombies reunion last year in Folsom, Colin Bluntstone said "Now I want to do a song that I sang with the Alan Parsons Project" & I was all "WHAT?!". So I started looking at all the A.P.P. records (believe it or not I accomplished this task at ONE thrift store!) & sure enough, Colin Blunstone sings a song or two on most of them. My vote for the best male singing voice ever & the only gig he can get in the 70's/80's is The Alan Parsons Project!? I mean, true, Eye In The Sky is a rad song but most of their shit is terrible! When my sister was 16 she was in to them & one day my mom had to borrow her truck - which I immediately started digging around in (I was 9)- and I found 'I Robot' by Alan Parsons in her glove box. I tried to memorize all the song titles & later, I brought it up to my sister all casually like I was in to it & she's going "YOU know who Alan Parsons is?!" I told her I did & that 'I Robot' was my favorite record by them & tried to list off all the songs. I got busted pretty quickly though.

miller

beckler said...

Yeah I noticed that Blunstone sings a song on the same album that "eye in the sky" is on. Great voice but it's not a good song, unfortunately.

beckler said...

That's pretty cute that you were trying to sound cool to your sister. I was always frustrated when I was a teen because my little bro and sister never thought I was cool and never wanted to know about the music I was into and stuff. Guess it was cuz I wasn't cool and they were more popular than me.