Monday, April 11, 2005

Show/food review

So the rock and roll weekend was not quite as rockin' as I thought it would be as theReadymades show in Woodland got cancelled. Too bad.

I went to the Bananas/Lyme Regis show on saturday but I missed Lyme Regis because they played first(?). The Bananas were the best I have seen them in a while. The sound was good, Mike was in Full Guido Mode with a sharkskin suit and blu-blockers. There was lots of heckling and chanting, Whitey started a mosh pit (and spilled beer on my new sweater. Thanks Whitey), Ground Chuck passed out stickers that said (what else) ground chuck and briefly took over mic duties, there was an arty dude wearing a poncho (funny), and the Bananas closed perfectly with the nautical rock and roll song (is it called siren song? i never know song titles) which is so fun to sing along and whistle along with. I heard there was a rumble in the street afterward but I left as soon as the show was over so I missed it.

Saturday morning I gave Ambrosia (corner of 9th and K) a try for breakfast on a recommendation from a friend and it really blew. The breakfast menu is quite limited and the only thing with eggs (a toast/eggs/cheddar/bacon thing) didn't sound good at the time so I settled on yogurt and granola. That shouldn't be too hard, right? From the quite nice counter teens I received a gigantic (ginormous even) bowl of what appeared more like trail mix than granola. It had an unpleasantly dark color, and was mostly nuts and hard dried fruit with very little grain. All I could think looking at it was "bug eggs". It just seemed really old and stale and I imagined moths laying eggs in it or something. I did not actually see any bugs or eggs, this was just the mental impression I got. So, giant bowl of hard nutty stuff and a tiny plastic dish of yogurt. If you are a yogurt and granola eater, I think you will agree that usually the yogurt granola ratio is at least half and half. Personally, I like more yogurt than granola. I asked the counter guy to throw out half the "granola" and give me another thing of yogurt, which he cheerfully did. I ordered an Earl Grey tea and they gave me a gigantic cup of lukewarm water and instructed me to pick out a tea bag. They only had that annoying new-agey organic tea that all has fruit flavors and crap. I picked some kind of bergamot, but due to the large quantity of water and its tepidness, that was gross, too. I choked down a bit of the "granola" and daydreamed about lunch. My friend says the vegetarian sandwiches are good, so I might give this place another try, but I doubt it. A sign in the window said that it's changing ownership yet again so maybe the new owner will improve it.

Lunch was egg salad from Taylor's, also on a recommendation from a friend, and it was really good. Best egg salad in town? I hesitate to say it because I don't want to start another fight in the comments.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

do they put anything in their egg salad? like green onions or bell peppers? i'm an egg salad freak but a purest. i don't want anything crunchy in that shit.

Anonymous said...

Egg salad comes with moth eggs.

Anonymous said...

Egg salad comes with moth eggs.

Alice said...

i eat at ambrosia about two or three times a month cause it's just down the street from my office. the granola there is totally disgusting. i got it one hungry morning before work and had barely chewed through it by the time the clock struck noon for lunch. i do like their quiche however. it's very hearty and they use gruyere pretty often instead of cheddar or some other 'inappropriate cheese' (i just like the way that sounds). some of the salads need a bit more inspiration (like the thai noodle salad). but, their eggplant sandwich is delicious. can't speak about their tea selection since i've never had any. but you might want to give it one more try. however, don't go during the week. there's just too many leg staffers and lobbyists sucking each other's cocks and you might loose your appetite.

Anonymous said...

And don't go to Trader Joe's during the week either because I'll be there personally sucking it's cock.

anon345miller@craiglist.org

Anonymous said...

Theat wasn't a poncho, it was a capelet!

martha

beckler said...

I have to disagree. I think that a capelet would be something that you tie at the neck. This garment seemed to have a neck hole and you would have to lower it over your head, thus rendering it a poncho. But I was trying not to stare, so if you got a better look than I did you could be right.

The egg salad didn't have much stuff in it, but there were definitely herbs of some kind. Anna, do you know what's in it. The comment I posted about this earlier didn't turn up so I'm going to be mad if I get T.D.D.P.'d