Friday, April 22, 2005

holy shit! reviewin' it!

Full disclosure about the show: I got stoned before so all of it seemed a little weird. In fact I got so stoned that I was going around telling people "I'm stoned". Such an idiot! I missed Pets but I did get to catch the Knightmares. This is one goodlooking band. I was at my most stoned when they were playing and I remember thinking, I shit you not, "the universe is unfolding in front of me". So I guess I must have liked them. God I should keep this shit to myself but I think it's kinda funny. They continually berated the audience for being trust fund punks that spend mommy and daddy's money at college. I happen to know that their drummer has a sizable trust fund, and you know what they say about the size of a guy's trust fund... it's correlated to the size of his dick! (but is it a negative or a positive correlation? That's a just a little statistics joke) Joel and Alec both have such great voices. Sorry my observations here are vague. All of their songs are very different, so I couldn't really get a handle on their sound. But it sounded good.

I wandered around a bit and then it was time for Knock Knock to play. The air was buzzing with excitement. Even their sound check sounded amazing. The room seemed packed, I would estimate the crowd at 100? (clearly a scene "on it's last legs"). They kicked into their first song (I don't know any of the titles, unfortunately) and they quickly began to rock the place. Hard. Most bands I know aren't too stoked to play at Old I because they don't pay you much and they charge too much at the door and they ONLY GIVE YOU ONE FREE PITCHER OF BEER (pathetic), but I like going there because the sound is the best of any club in sac. You can hear your favorite bands the way they should sound. Heckamax's bass sounded so...muscular. Like his bod. I'm not hitting on Maxwell, I have just been wanting to use the word bod for a while. It's a great word. And as a side note about Old I's beer, what the fuck is wrong with it? I got an Anchor Steam on tap and it was so fucking sour I was gagging. Anchor Steam is a delicious beer, and not usually sour. Clean your taps. Please. Back to the show. The chanting started early. I can't remember the first chant, but one of the chants was "twins, twins, twins" to honor the twins birthday. That reminds me, Charles has been talking about putting out a recording of Sacramento's classic chants. Of course that would include "talk about charles" and such oldies but goodies as "get on the ground and roll around" and "can you sport it, holy shit sportin' it". He should probably include "can you feel it intensify", too.

Shit! I gotta go cut a brain. I'll be back later.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to remember my favorite
Sacto Chants:

"The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on Fire"

"U.S.A."

"Wild Thing"

? What else ?

-Ella

Anonymous said...

Definitely the "The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on Fire" chant, that one was great.

michele

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Becky, it wasn't being stoned that made you think that. I always think the universe is unfolding before me when I see the Knightmares. I love them so. I also think Alec might be the new Mike Farrell. Did you notice that it seemed like there were some dudes there just to watch him shred? Which he did.
"Music Before Tuning! Music Before Tuning!"

Genghis Conway

beckler said...

He had some pretty hot poses, it's true. Now I'm gonna make him self conscious I bet. Speaking of shredding, there is a consensus on the chick list that none of Pritchard's bands shreds. Not even a little bit.

beckler said...

I should have said "moves" rather than "poses". That sounds less like he did it on purpose. Or maybe I just shouldn't have said anything.

Anonymous said...

That dude is such a poser when he should be a mover.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for noticing. I spend hours working on my poses... but I spend even more time working on how to effortlessly move from one pose to another.

Alec