Friday, April 15, 2005

Why I'm An Idiot-Chapter 1,896

Forget it, it's tiresome to type this out. Suffice to say I'm an idiot because I engaged in a pointless argument with a librarian wearing clogs who was obviously relishing the fact that he got to say the phrase "your library privileges have been suspended" to me numerous times. Long story short, the book that I was insisting I had returned and whining about how they lost and were charging me for in error, was sitting on my fucking bookshelf this morning. I had returned a different Calvino book that I had. Hence, idiot.

What do people do when someone makes a racist joke or statement in front of them? Unfortunately, this has happened to me at least 4 or 5 times in the last year and every time I'm so taken aback that I say nothing.

I don't even feel like typing the restaurant review, either. Oh, I know what's wrong with me, PMS, duh. That's why I feel this large swell of anger with no apparent cause. That's probably why I fought with the librarian, too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What library? I got a notice from the downtown library that I hadn't returned a book that I knew I had returned. When I went in there & told the guy at the desk that I had returned it, he just looked at me & said "OK". That was it.

miller

beckler said...

the UC Davis library. The guy clearly thought I was lying. It took him about 2 hours to fill out the fucking booksearch form, after chastising me for also not bringing my library card. He clucked his tongue and said "surely you have to be amused by the situational irony in this" (meaning, not being able to find my library card but insisting i had returned the book). I should have said, "no, but I'm laughing inside at your orange clogs".

Alice said...

just a couple nights ago my friend alicia was telling me about her co-workers at the sac state library. apparently, librarians can be super ornery and pretentious at the college-level. some of her fellow librarians think they're the smartest people on earth. guess they figure they're the gate keepers to the world's breadth of knowledge.

Anonymous said...

What kind of hair did he have?

Brew

beckler said...

normal brown hair. no pone or anything.

leon said...

racist jokes:

just say
"HAHA!!! I get it! YOU'RE A RACIST!!!"

or
"hey! my mom's a jew/chink/works at 7-11 etc..."

Anonymous said...

I personally think I must be slightly evil because I laugh at some of the PSAs on Air America, the ones where "one voice" stands up against racism (I'm super partial to the valley girl saying "no, I DON'T know" regarding a baby shower/baby name situation. I despise racist jokes and slurs, but I secretly love stereotypes of all kinds because I know they aren't necessarily true. Like the one about people who wear jesus shoes are smelly hippies: sometimes true. My kid's going to be half chinese and I'm all about making cracks on miscegenation and getting ready for the questions about adopting in China and who the real mom is. Personally, I'm hoping for red hair just to crank it up a notch.

~A