Friday, April 22, 2005

Mike said beaver pelt

The comments bring to mind a question. What's your favorite Sacto chant? Mine is "get on the ground and roll around". It's fun to say and it rhymes.

So on with the Knock Knock show. There was some friendly rivalry going on between the bands. Mike claimed that they were more old school than the Knightmares and bragged that he had made his guitar out of a beaver pelt and carved the amp out of a stump. At one point, under the guise of asking about the levels, he asked if we could hear his guitar and when there was a murmured assent he said, "sounds good, doesn't it?". Knock Knock had to borrow a cord from Joel and there was some talk about the relative cord lengths of Joel and Heckamax. Heckamax said everyone knows he's got a really long cord. I yelled "I heard it's retractable". I like this forum cuz I can repeat my jokes for a larger audience. Everyone knows it's the girth of the cord that matters anyway. I just grossed myself out. No more dick jokes for the rest of the day, I promise! Maxwell told an anecdote about their friend that babysat for Jonathan Richman and how one day when she was there Bruce Springsteen called for Jonathan. That is an awesome story. Knock Knock finished out their set and left everyone begging for more. Chants of 'encore' quickly turned to "bullshit" when the band was wavering on what to play. Sac crowds can turn ugly in an instant like that. I blame it on the rampant steroid use. But we have to get big so we can shred harder. And longer. That's not a dick joke.

During this show I also got to meet Christian Kiefer and saw Cary Rodda talking to Jer Per. All the music moguls were in the house.

Oh yeah, and there was this guy who Tess nicknamed "business casual" who kept crowding me. Far be it from me to mock a guy that hits on me, they're few and far between, God bless 'em, but if a girl keeps moving away from you when you move closer until she is first standing close to the wall, then pressed against the wall, then desperately hugs the wall all to avoid your relentless advances and intent stares, then leave her alone! He did offer up some scintillating conversation such as, "this band reminds me of Seattle" and "it's like a comedy show and a concert all in one" (these comments were both about Knock Knock, by the way).

Johnny clued me in the the Hasidic Rapper. That is one handsome Hasid. I was thinking about that record I have of the Jewish rapper "A to the D" and it occurred to me that it would be better if his name was "G to the D" because of how Jews aren't supposed to spell out the word G-d

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm partial to the "Less Talk, More Tonk" chant.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! If there is one thing that I love about Sacto bands and shows its the chant. Sacto has got to be the Chantingest (sp? Damn you Crest!) town ever. Last night I liked "Genius! Genius" concerning Jay Baker's invention of the word "frontloading".

-The nightmares rule. Double album? those fuckers.

Heckamax

Anonymous said...

My heart will always belong to "Four, on the floor..." The chant that busted it wide open for chanting.

Heather

DB said...

Yes, "4 on the floor..." is definitely the "That's All Right, Mama" of Sacramento chants...it opened a lot of doors.