Monday, August 08, 2005

FF show

OK, since Charles asked, the show last night was cool. I really love Fool's Foundation. I want to interview Liz about it but I will probably chicken out and be too lazy to do so. When we got there, this woman was playing (I posted on Undietacos to find out who she is because she wasn't on the listing for the show) and she was my favorite part of the night. She was super young-I would bet not long out of high school from the age of her friend that was there, but she had this timeless, Katherine Hepburn-esque look with her hair piled on her head in a weird bun and the cutest shoes on her teeny little feet. Her voice was really strong and low and her songs were pretty Nicky Drakey and I really enjoyed her performance. Her brother came up to accompany her on trumpet and he was wearing a tie! And her parents were there. The whole thing was too cute. The next couple of acts after that really didn't do it for me and the touring band from Portland put on one of the most inept musical performances I have ever seen in my life. I feel mean saying that but it's true. The dudes that were doing maracas and tambourine and percussion and stuff could NOT keep a beat. It was painful. I had heard that Thanksgiving was really good last time he played, but this time rather than playing solo he had a full band which was...the crappy band that played right before him (he was in that band, too so no big surprise). I could tell he had some talent but after sitting through the other band I couldn't take it. It was getting late so I took off. Thanks to Olivia (from Ollipom) for the leftover ice cream from the ice cream social. Did anyone go to that? How was it?

Oh yeah, this show was really well attended for a sunday and there was hardly anyone there that I recognized. It was a non-sac show but somehow still totally sac. The new sac.

7 comments:

Alice said...

i went to the soul-cial and had a nice time. there was this trio from brooklyn that performed (i think there name is '661'). i know not everybody in there was into it because it was very mellow and i'm not even going to attempt to describe it. but, the three folks had great voices and i was impressed by their dynamic stage presence. i seriously thought all of them were going to start crying during a couple of the songs. someone else care to describe it for me?

Anonymous said...

I talked with the girl who played first at FF for as long as I could stand being the dude talking to the pretty girl with a guitar. She plays under the name Fancy & she said she grew up around here but lives in Berlin now. Of course she does. She was really good, as was Thanksgiving - especially when he played acoustic towards the end. That middle band was unbelievably off. It's rare that I see a band that I feel is just totally unnecessary - but they were one of them. I had no idea what they were trying to do.

miller

beckler said...

Why does she have to pick a generic name like Fancy? There's no way to do any internet stalking because first you have to wade through catfancy, dogfancy, the national fancy rat society (?) and the fancy feast website.

Just in case you are wondering, the following traits will disqualify your rat from being fancy:

Disqualifying Faults:

Lack of whiskers
Severe Scabs
Mites and Fleas
Obvious ill-health
Intractability

Funny, those are the same criteria I use for a boyfriend. Moderate scabs are OK, but sever scabs are a dealbreaker.

beckler said...

fuck! severe scabs, not sever scabs.

Anonymous said...

You have to admit that Fancy Feast has a great website. Steve turned me on to it.

miller

Anonymous said...

I found this:

http://www.fanciemusic.com/

beckler said...

hmm...she's older than i thought. my superior math skills tell me that she's 28. i actually used my calculator to figure this out