Friday, August 19, 2005

west nile, day four


satyricon
Originally uploaded by becklerg.

I continue to wander through a fog of disease, shedding virus and infecting all those around me. Crows drop dead as I walk past. Oh no, wait, I was getting myself confused with Tara Reid for a minute there. It's an easy mistake to make because today I look positively bedraggled. BEDRAGGLED I SAY.

Some reviews of crap:

Food at the fair:

Corn on the cob: B+ I would give it an A but the parmesan wouldn't stick and no tapatio

Brisket: A This is my favorite food at the fair. You have to get it from the BBQ place that is by the magical prancing pony arena. Get the brisket dinner. It's ten bucks, but whaddya want, you're at the fair-it's like a money vacuum.

California wine pavilion: C. While it is awesome that you can taste the winning Cali wines and there are reasonable wines by the glass, they are slow as fuck which impeded my swilling by 50% and it's annoying to hear wine snobs nattering at the fair. I come to the fair to see haggard ladies with t-shirts that address their attitude problems, not wine snobs asking about cork rot. There is a time for that sort of talk, and it's not at the fucking fair. Michele-here's the results-I had a glass of the Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noir which tied with the Domain Carneros Taittinger Brut for best sparkling wine. I also had some muscat that was good. I didn't know about muscat but I'm suddenly into it.

Last Days-Looked good, fun to space out during but ultimately pointless. Gus Van Sant-why? I was talking with THE KID at the Crest about how the majority of the audience are gay dudes who can't get enough of Michael Pitt. Speaking of homoreroticism (which I like to speak of frequently)...

Satyricon-Reason number 863 why Fellini is the best is how hot and (homo)erotic this movie is (no, not the scenes with the really young boys like the one in the picture, but even if I did mean that, that kid's probably 18-well maybe not-but between Encolpius and his bitchy best friend). Fellini in his autobio said that after this movie he was accused of being gay but he didn't care. How cool is that? I mean, sure, no one should be homophobic and it's not like you should get an award for not being homophobic, but it was 1969, it was a Catholic country, he was past middle age, and he was totally straight. And don't even get me started on how good this movie is because I don't even know enough words to talk about it.

7 comments:

beckler said...

In case anybody missed Biz's comment from earlier:

Now that I'm in college I think I finally get Carrot Top.
-biz

Anonymous said...

Muscat is great! You and Miller should definitley drink Moscatel de Setubal when you are in Lisbon, it's great before or after dinner, and goes really well with fruit, which you'll need to eat for dessert if you have a prayer of taking a shit any time while you are gone.

Me and Ella have been dorking out about sparkling muscat, like HPO of Corti Bros fame and Moscato d'Asti of Piedmont fame. Asti Spumante is made from muscat too! Sparkling muscats are good just to quaff in the hot sun, at Poinsettia say, but they are also really good with spicy southeast Asian food.

A lot of the wineries up in the Sierra Foothills make great desert wines from muscat, but I recommed the ones made from Muscat Canelli rather than Orange Muscat, they are really different and I think Canelli is vastly superiour. Lava Cap winery makes a good one. There are tons and tons of varieties of muscat, and I think it's used all over the world. Some other famous wines from muscat are Muscat Ottonel from Hungary, and Muscat de Beaumes de Venise from southern France.

And, I agree, Satyricon is great.

And I also agree that Biz could get Carrot Top.

-michele

Anonymous said...

Also, thanks for the results..very interesting.
-m

Anonymous said...

When are you going to Portugal? If you see any of my relatives, demand free stuff.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, there's that there party at my house tonight (Friday) to "celebrate" that Skipper got accepted to some fancy-pants grad school. If you show up, Heckleberg, I'll give you one of the bottles of pee that Neckbeard left behind. Either way, I'll keep playing the message from Planned Parenthood that says, "Neckbeard, call us back. Immediately!" Woody told me to make a noise record out of it. Repeating loop of the message with background noise of someone peeing in a bottle.

Alice said...

dave, your post just had me laughing until tears came out of my eyes. neckbeard--such a perfect name.

Unknown said...

have you heard of this?

http://www.eonline.com/On/Taradise/