Friday, September 09, 2005

Halloween show?

The show at FF was really fun and, as promised, did move at a fairly brisk pace. It was over by about 12:15-which is not bad for a show that couldn't start until 10:00. I missed Dead Western. Marissa Nadler had a pretty voice, but it kind of had that quavery folk tone that I don't always like and it was a little bland for my tastes. But pleasant. She had the folk look down, with the long hair parted down the middle, but then she ruined the illusion during Jack Rose by texting on her cell phone. I got really stoned (I'm so cool) between Marissa and Jack and for the rest of the night I thought I was being SO FUNNY. If you talked to me and you didn't find this to be the case then maybe next time you should try getting stoned before you talk to me. I kept tripping on how Mochi the chihuahua looked like a chicken nugget and that a certain local father of two really looks like he should be cast in a movie about the Napoleonic era. This is not a dis, that's a cool look. I was "in the zone" as they say during Jack Rose and I liked it. It was more country-fried than I expected, then it got kinda sitar-y at the end. Or maybe all instruments just start sounding like the sitar when you are that stoned.

This is an appeal to all Heckasac readers. There is an important local issue to decide. I'm not saying there will be one for sure, but IF there were to be a Halloween cover show, what do you guys think would be a good theme? Some of the suggestions that were bandied about last night included:

1) coke bands

2) 70's coke bands

3) 90's punk (think NOU and Bikini Kill)

4) all Beatles all the time

Potential problems with coke bands, especially 70's coke bands (the names that came up were, of course, the Mac, Eagles, Steve Miller, etc.) are that these are pretty technically proficient bands, you can't just throw Chicago together in one practice.

I will just weigh in right now and say that the all Beatles idea is the one that I favor. Picture if you will a room full of people all of whom are dressed like a member of the Beatles. People could do all the different eras. People could do solo projects. I'm sure someone would do Wings. Grace could be Yoko Ono finally. I think that sounds really funny. But I'm just one person. Yep, just one person with an enormous amount of influence in this town and a will to crush anyone who stands in my way.

21 comments:

Alice said...

can we take up nominations for linda?

beckler said...

I think brew has that one sewn up. I plan to just be a generic Beatlemaniac and I just might go crazy the way I did when Joel was George Michael.

Anonymous said...

I'm holding auditions for Ringo's All Star Band today at 6:00 sharp on the corner of 19th & G.

~ringo

beckler said...

Someone has to be Nilsson in Ringo's band! And there should be three drummers! And one of them should be Keith Moon (Charles)! And they should play a horrible version of "Rock Around the Clock". All of this is based on real life events.

Anonymous said...

I'll just read part of the script from Backbeat for my contribution. That or Say Say Say.

-lgikri

Anonymous said...

After watching a Steely Dan documentary on the making Aja last night, I have to put my vote in for either Coke bands or 70's Coke bands. Fagen and Becker are like a two headed monster, sitting at a huge mixing board listening to tracks off of Aja, Becker using is right hand, Fagen using his left, together in perfect sync, while speaking in technical jargon. THEY REMEMBER EVERYTHING!!! Which makes me wonder if they really did do a bunch of coke. But they must of. I don't think its possible to look how they did without snorting a few lines everyday.

Brew

Anonymous said...

Would the Traveling Wilburys be allowed in a Beatles themed show? If so, I may just have a change of heart....

Brew

beckler said...

Your anecdote about Aja just illustrates my point (which was originally D.P.'s point), how can you recreate that studio magic at a Halloween show?

Beatles! Beatles! Beatles!

Anonymous said...

Someone can just do Steely Dan Presents The Songs Of The Beatles. Joel would need to be involved.

-Willies guy

Anonymous said...

so the only way the 70's coke theme could work is if The Feeling was "the" band and everybody else just sang the songs. Vince agrees. Also I just wanna solo and maybe play a freak out which wasn't the coke forte'

Anonymous said...

If it's the Beatles, I have dibs as being Thomas the Tank Engine.

G Bomb

PS- I ain't not G-Lo. I would love to have a claim on the letter G, but I don't.

Anonymous said...

I nominate David Paul for the walrus. Mainly so I can say the walrus is David Paul.

miller

Anonymous said...

Beckler,
There's only one answer to your question: Woodhouse.

B

beckler said...

what's my question?

Anonymous said...

Beckler, the question was...How can you recreate that studio magic at a Halloween show?

And DP, how can you say soloing and freaking out is not of the coke forte? Do you even like the Grateful Dead like you say you do? And aren't you in a rock band. I bet you guys have never even done coke before a show. Weak.

Brew

Anonymous said...

Joel's going to be in hawaii. Maybe its the finally the year for "Sacto halloween show goes to hawaii".

-jieomi

Unknown said...

oh please, please no Beatles.

the only way i can take it is dressing up like Yoko and getting hella trashed.

since coke makes more money annually than Starbucks, there have got to be way more bands, bands that are maybe not so technical....

Whitney Houston
The Strokes
Dandy Warhols
Oasis

Anonymous said...

You forgot The Beatles.

miller

Unknown said...

oh snap!

Anonymous said...

If the theme is coke bands, who wants to be in The Rolling Thunder Revue with me? Dillon should probably be Ronson.
-biz

Anonymous said...

theme = beattles and coke bands.

and a bonus will be anybody can do a band joel was in or cover at a previous loft show.

don't worry I cleared all this with Soriano just as long as NO BODY FROM OUT OF TOWN PLAYS IN A BAND. Also, you are all late on loft rent.

Charles

ps. so it sounds like every one is in. good.