Monday, July 11, 2005

my sweet weekend

Do you want to know what I did this weekend? No? Too bad.

Friday was the Popfest in SF. The Ricksha club seems OK. I couldn't help being sad that I wasn't there to see the Television Personalities. I got the inside scoop that the reason the TVPs can't get into the U.S. is not because of Dan Treacy's criminal record, but because he keeps showing up smashed to his visa appointments. But the Razorcuts/Sportique side project thingy played again, which was great. Those guys are so cool. They gave a shout out to Sac! I, of course, got medium hammered and proceeded to segue from talking to Gregory Webster about the London bombings (he lives in Oxford), to the subject of discrimination against Muslims and then to pretty much accusing his home country of being more overtly racist than the U.S. and then telling him the stupid story of how a guy in a pub smacked me and no one seemed to be rushing to stop him from kicking my ass. Poor guy. I plan to pursue a career in diplomatic relations some day. The rest of the bands were decidedly not my cup of pop tea. Pop shows are different. Everyone is dressed casually and no one is getting wasted.

Saturday was the sci-fi con at which No Kill I: TNG played. The organizers of the con thought it would be a good idea to shut everything down at like 4:00, pack up the booths, tell everyone to go home and then say, "oh, but come back because bands will be playing at 6:00". Great idea. There was no one there for the bands, of course. I snuck in with an amp to avoid paying the ten bucks (which went to charity). Stupid charity. TNG KILLED! Killed, I say. I can't believe that no one was videotaping it because my descriptive gifts fail me when I try to describe it. I had a couple of great interactions with the nerds at the con, including a high school kid dressed as an old-school Klingon (before they had the butt-heads). I was laughing about the nerds to my friends, but lest they think I was being cruel, I pointed out that I often used to sleep with a Star Trek novel under my pillow so that I would have dreams about Kirk. How old was I when I used to do that? That's classified information, ensign. No Kill I: TNG needs to play at least once a year from now on!!!!! That's an order. Oh yeah, there was a "guitar comedian" named Hunter Hill. I want to write his name so when he googles it, this will come up and he will see that everyone there thought he was the biggest douche on the planet. This is a guy who probably worships those stupid fucking songs that Adam Sandler used to sing on SNL. His idea of comedy was singing a song about tittyfucking and making fun of carnies and homeless people. I'm sure it goes over big with his frat brothers but it was painfully unfunny. It was sad. And his little square sorority girlfriend sat there videotaping it and pretending that it's great to have a boyfriend that sings a song about you coming in your eye and cleaning it up with your panties.

Then we rushed to the Not Not Fun showcase in Davis. These kids are just as cool as I hoped! They're not like the kids in Sac who just sit there sourly in their hundred dollar jeans under their 60 dollar haircuts and never crack a smile. They are like all of our friends ten years ago. Funny, friendly, and cute. Their bands were entertaining and good. I hope that they all play in Sac a lot. Thanks to whoever hosted the show at their house. They even had free BBQ and beer.

Sunday I went up to the Yuba. This spot at the river really puts Sac to shame, which I hate to say. But hey, that's the beauty of Sac, drive a little over an hour away and you're at a beautiful blue-green river in the mountains, with naked Germans and hippies everywhere. Brew said that last time she saw two naked hippies toasting each other with champagne. Sweet! Maybe Brew can post directions to this spot for those who are interested. It's worth the drive.

7 comments:

leon said...

I love how hospitable Davis shows are. Beer, food, music and all the Davis/KDVS folks are the nicest peeps around...all for the price of one!

I thought the popfest was kinda whack too. I could have easily left after G. Web.


here is a video of gregory webster playing "love and remains" (which is one of the best songs of all time) at the loft!

Anonymous said...

Of course Ella must be given props where props are due. She has been telling everyone in Sac how sweet this river spot is for years! Thank you Ella for taking me up there!!!!

Here's directions:

1)Take I 80 East to Auburn
2)Take the Hwy 49 exit towards Grass Valley/ Nevada City
3)Take 49 through Grass Valley and Nevada City. Follow the sign for Downieville (a left turn, you will still be on 49)
4) At the first light, turn left. Drive about 1 mile till the road forks.
5) Turn right. Take this road for about 15 miles all they way to the end. You pass a Christian Camp and eventually will go down a very steep, windy one lane road at the end.
6) Park near the bridge, cross it, turn left immediately on the path.
7) Hike till you find your favorite spot!

Brew

Anonymous said...

Oh shit! #4 is wrong!!!! At first light turn RIGHT. Sorry.

Brew

Anonymous said...

Is the water warm yet? I wanna go there NOW!

BTW: the spot is called Edwards Crossing in case you ever get lost and need to ask locals for directions.

We like to hike down to the place where a creek makes a waterfall into the river. The perfect place to take fantasy island pictures of your friends pretending to be wild tigers. Makes me laugh just thinking of those photos.

Ella

Anonymous said...

Jenny and I were talking about those yesterday. She wants to make a photo spread of them. Dorkiest photo spread ever!

I had a great naked-hippy spotting yesterday. There was a dude wearing wet suit type shirt that almost looked like a one-piece until you saw the dong hanging out. Why pull a shirt over your butt cheeks and let the dingus be free?

Brew

Anonymous said...

Oh, and the water isn't as warm as it has been other summers. But its still really nice. The water is also a little high and there aren't any fish this year! I guess its been a problem further up by Downieville.

Brew

Alice said...

i guess porky pigging is all the rage this summer.