Monday, February 23, 2009

so much butter


Happy birthday MH! This is the pineapple upside down cake I made for her birthday.  It's EC's family recipe and I'm going to ask her if I can post it.

AC Newman is playing tomorrow at Harlow's along with a ukelele guy who is on Pawtracks and who I hear is really good.  Dent May.  Ooh, I like it.

Tyvek and Th' Losin' Streaks are playing the UCD coffeehouse on wednesday.  I'll be catching them on friday at Luigis.

Ganglians on thursday!

Last night for a celebratory dinner I had the extreme pleasure of a meal at the Waterboy.  I think I hadn't been since my wonderful, perfect, birthday dinner in July.  If so, I am a fool for not going more often.  All four of us present at the dinner last night vowed to return soon.  We brought a bottle of an extremely reasonably priced and tasty Cremant de Limoux from 58 degrees.  The wine list is the only criticism I have of the Waterboy.  

We got the steak tartare, proscuitto bruschetta, and the white anchovy crostini to start. I love how he always has white anchovies in some form on the menu.  The real marvel was our entrees, which were all perfectly cooked and superb.  I find that many fine dining places can knock it outof the park with apps, but are not so good with the more difficult meaty entrees.  Not last night!  Smiller got a giant lamb shank that was beyond words.  I got an excellent seafood, saffrony, soupy risotto with the tenderest little bits of Monterey squid.  The pork tenderloin and pork belly was more interesting than your usual bland tenderloin.  The service was flawless.  

Good old Waterboy!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please post that recipe. That cake looks incredible.

Dani

Anonymous said...

It really was a perfect tea time cake.

That meal sounds great.
I have been on a real anchovy kick lately.

-Natalie.

Anonymous said...

pineapple juice, butter and sugar and a trio from heaven.

Warm streams are playing tonight in Oak Park, so I am totally stoked.

gbomb

Anonymous said...

Oh, I guess it's tomorrow. and not warm streams. Still stoked!
g

Count Mockula said...

I wanted to like the Waterboy, but I thought the ambiance was really... cold. Plus, it's not super vegetarian-friendly (which I realize is my own issue).

On the other hand, I LOVE pineapple upside-down cake.

Josh Nice said...

speaking of anchovies, here in Kenya all the Indian shops sell bags of dried small fish. what do you do with those?

beckler said...

Hmm...I don't know. A lot of cuisines work with dried stuff that I don't know what to do with.

Anonymous said...

I hear you're supposed to drink until they're the best snack ever.

-miller

Anonymous said...

Becks- you have the permission of my entire family to post our recipe. My mom is partying in New Orleans right now, so it took me a while to reach her on the phone. I just hope she's not showing her boobs. BTW, since most people reading this live in Sacto, if you want to bump it up a bit, use the Luxardo cherries from Corti's and use Muscovado brown sugar. One of those jars of cherries lasts a long long time. As it should, it costs $20. But after you have one, you have a hard time going back.