Friday, August 24, 2012

News and Review roundup

Hey, the cover story of the News and Review is super good! Entertaining as hell.  I have seen the date rape flotilla near Discovery Park, but not for years and I didn't know it has gotten so insane.  Stripper poles?

The editorial for this week was about K.J.s need for transparency, and last week's cover story is still worth a read if you haven't gotten to it.  The level of corruption, nepotism, and shady financial dealings he has brought to City Hall is insane, and I can only console myself with the fact that he is completely ineffective.  Greenwise was just so he could schmooze with celebs (who were paid handsomely), Think Big has gotten nowhere, and everyone knows For Art's Sake has been a debacle.  Shelly Willis was very diplomatic in her comments about how it stepped on SMAC's toes.  Can you imagine a mayor that just tries to usurp the territory of a successful arts organization, but thinks he can do it by bringing in someone from Austin who doesn't know anything about the Sac art scene, and then is just stymied by how many laws are in place to keep us from having an arts scene like Austin.  I'm sure she was smart and qualified, but she left without accomplishing much.  Unless I am getting some of this wrong, which is totally possible.  Anyway, rant over.

Guphy has a story about tea in there, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Josh Fernandez got a couple of letters, which I think were well-deserved.  I'm not a member of the BDSM community (not that I would tell you), but I do listen to Dan Savage's podcast, so I know it's a real community in most cities, and that people take it seriously.  I think he didn't really explore that.  But it was insane that he was willing to get naked and get his butt paddled.  That was disturbing. 

On that sidebar on the front cover it says "Sac's busiest new restaurant" and I was like "ooh, what is it?" and then I realized it was my review of Firestone.  I stand by it.  I like Firestone.  Sure, I won't visit but if I liked sports I totally would.  They did a good job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sports and $7 Bruery = I'm sure it'll happen.

NM

Anonymous said...

Firestone = prime dayrage spot!

-miller