Friday, January 27, 2017

it's a slumper

So guys, I'm not sure Hal Hartley movies stand up. I was reallllly into them in my teenage years/early twenties, but I watched Henry Fool the other night and thought it was terrible. Didn't even finish it. But of course that was a later one, and was never one of my favorites. I remember my house used to have a poster of it, but I doubt that I was the one who put it up. Some other Tower worker.  Has anybody watched Trust lately?  Or The Unbelievable Truth?
 
Tomorrow is the Lunar Flower Festival parade in South Sac, starting bright and early at 9am. Will I make it? Probably not. Then next weekend is the Tet festival. I don't know if these have always been separate, but it's kind of confusing. This press release explains the timing. I guess if I watched from Florin I wouldn't have to be there at the crack of nine, since it starts at Fruitridge and travels towards Florin.
 
I went to the Tet festival two years ago and it was fun. Definitely some good food, although since we can get great Vietnamese food all over South Sac at any time, it's not a must-attend like Hmong New Year. Also lacks the costume aspect. I've said it a million times, but IMHO it's events like this that make our city (fill in the blank: interesting, worthwhile, world class), not say, an arena and a terrible team led by a cry baby who nevertheless did manage to defeat the slumping Cavs the other day.
 
I'm judging Baconfest tomorrow. Last year I didn't get asked, after (I think) three years in a row judging. I love to judge (in general). I am kind of dreading it, though, as far as how I feel after. I might try to fast until then, but maybe that would be worse. It's like 30-some bites and dishes at minimum.

8 comments:

Stephen Glass said...

I saw "Trust" a couple years back again -- it kinda holds up. Maybe not perfectly, but then again that was always my favorite one of his, so I'm biased. I'm not sure some of them held up that well at the time (yeah, I know that's not a thing, I'm just making a brush with humor). It goes a long way with having two damn good leads in it.

Anonymous said...

I've re-watched a few movies from the nineties that blew my mind as a teenager/young adult and was surprised at how bad they were. Sling Blade? The whole premise is pretty faulty, but it has some good performances. Overall, not a great movie as I remembered. I made the mistake of watching Beautiful Girls the other night. Not that anyone would call that a classic or anything, but I recall thinking it was deep when I was nineteen. That movie is so 90's and so creepy. The 90s= creepy.

-Heckamax

beckler said...

I got a lot wrong in my post -
1) the baconfest judging was Sunday. To prep I "fasted" for Saturday and Sunday until the competition. My version of fasting is to have juice, a salad and some kale chip thingies instead of popcorn when I went to the movies to see Split which is TERRIBLE
2) I figured out this weekend that the Lunar Flower Fest, which just passed was Chinese New Year and that the Tet Festival (this upcoming weekend) is for Vietnamese New Year. Is that right? Or am I getting it wrong again?

Cody said...

Split was pretty terrible. But what about that Shyamalan cameo? What about that twist? Just kidding, those things sucked too.

beckler said...

he's no Hitchcock with those charisma-free cameos of his!

DaveNinja said...

Vietnamese New Year was last saturday. The Tet festival at Stockton and Florin happened last weekend and is also happening this weekend. We went on saturday and it was pretty cool. We sat at a table and ate ribs while people would throw strands of firecrackers nearby. Beer was 3 for $10. Lots of happy drunk people! also plenty of janky carnival rides.

beckler said...

I'm confused!! Why is Tet two weekends and why is it called different things?! Oh well, I will try to go this upcoming weekend.

DaveNinja said...

The Little Saigon website was confusing and made it sound like the Tet festival was only this up-coming weekend but it actually was both weekends.