Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Oaxaca Part 1

The struggle is real to post instead of using Instagram. I want to single-handedly lead a blog revival and a mass abandoning of the Gram and FB. 2010s nostalgia is peaking right now so let's bring back blogs! BUT blogger makes it nigh impossible to easily post photos whereas it's so easy on Instagram and you get so much social validation from it instantly! I mean, my serotonin will barely be affected by this post unless you comment so what's the point????

Nonetheless I will soldier on because when destiny calls one (to lead a blog revival), one must answer. Oaxaca report after the jump


My and smiller's recent trip to Mexico was THE BEST. So fun. I will share with you, in hopes that it will bring a smile to your face and if you visit these places you will have some good recommendations.

First we went to Oaxaca de Juarez (Oaxaca city). The population in the last census was 255 thousand, but that was in 2010, so could be bigger (just to give some context). Weather was great, hot in the day, breezy but warm at night. We got in kinda late to our AirBnB, and Oaxaca is not that late night of a place, so we ended up just eating mezcal for dinner. And some peanuts. Little did I know our room was right near two of the best late-night spots in the city! But I'll go into that later.

First morning we were very confused by the street layout, and we decided on a well-known taco stand near the main Chapel called Tacos Del Carmen (since 1974, just like me!)

Look at that comal, and they are making the tortillas and tlayudas all from hand you know it is bomb.
I believe that first time I got the chorizo and the veg with quesillo (shreddy Oaxacan cheese) and hoja santa and cilantro. This started my obsession with Mexican herbs and my vow to start a special garden of them which I am 100% going to do (maybe). Also what a fool I was to think I don't like black beans. I had never had them the Oaxacan way - mashed with I think a little bit of lard (undetectable).

These tacos were the very first start to the blowing of my mind by Oaxacan food in a way that it will never again be un-blown. I am kneeling down at the altar of this refined, light and healthful and subtle cuisine.

Next we went to the Museo Rufino Tamayo. I knew that he was a modern painter, so I thought this would be a modern art museum, but it's really Pre-Hispanic art. Cool.
Is it immature I am admiring the puffy labia on this sculpture? Maybe.
There is a very fancy art foundation in an old house worth visiting, which houses a small museum of textiles. This was a cool wall there.

No comments: