Friday, October 23, 2020

Secret?

 I watched First Cow last night, the new-ish movie from Kelly Reichardt (Meek's Cutoff, Wendy and Lucy). Really enjoyed it. I was apprehensive when I saw Alia Shawkat in the first scene because I'm not a big fan, but without spoiling I will say it's a cameo. Orion Lee, who plays King Lu is an enormously appealing and charismatic actor. I looked him up and looks like he's done a lot of theater.

I had a thought while watching it and thinking about all the movies I've watched recently that were made by female directors: what if male directors aren't very good? I think this might secretly be the case and I'm putting this forth without any kind of developed argument. 


3 comments:

beckler said...

Woah, AO Scott called First Cow a masterpiece?? That's rad. I really wish I could have seen it in the theater since her films always have a slow pace. I missed the 1 or 2 week window that Tower had Meek's Cutoff

senioradvisorsplus said...

I am genuinely impressed by the way you detailed out everything. It's genuinely going to help me lots. Thanks for sharing your thoughts so clearly.
Assisted living near me

Cody said...

I just went on the internet on my actual computer, not just my phone, for the first time in forever, and realized I hadn't read Heckasac since before quar. I think I actually only read blogs at work, so when I started working from home I forgot to check. I'm all caught up. It is making me nostalgic for the days of Heckasac when Donald Boykins and his herpes would have been an ongoing joke.