Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Do I like Inherent Vice

 I surprised myself with the strong emotions this movie provoked in me. Mostly because a) I'm dead inside and b) I did not remember much from seeing it when it came out beyond a vague feeling that it was good.

I think it was maybe just too much to process on first watching. It snapped me out of my Joaquin Phoenix negativity. He's really funny in it. I mean, this movie is wackadoodle for sure, but I guess chalk that up to the Pynchon base material. I have never read any Pynchon and I'll never say never but nothing from him resides in my current giant stack of books that is oppressing me from my bedside table.

This movie really affected my sleep, the scenes kept playing in my head, especially the mesmerizing Katherine Waterston one, yes if you've seen it you know the one, but not in a dirty way, more like the woozy lighting on her hair and face.

There are obtrusive and gratuitous celeb cameos (Martin Short the most egregious) that make it seem Tarantino-esque, and an unwelcome Owen Wilson brings a soupcon of Wes Anderson to the mix, but this movie seems to have tapped straight into my subconscious and today I'm feeling all the feels (it's annoying me to write that even as a joke). 

It inspired me to listen to Harvest today which TBH is not good for my mental health. Nothing makes me sadder than that album and looking at and singing along with my dad's 8 track of it is as strong of an early childhood memory as I have.

I'll have to do a final ranking once I rewatch Phantom Thread and then if Licorice Pizza ever opens here.


No comments: