Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Gadget alert!


 RIP to Bay Area artist David Lance Goines. He did all the Chez Panisse art I'm sure you've seen his stuff. And the Acme Bread logo with the little girl and baguettes. I always have thought that this Harbor Winery print I have was done by him but now I am doubting myself.

"She loved a good pickle plate" could be a contender for my epitaph. Cheese plate? Meh. Pickle plate? Helllloooo! Kodaiko has one that is consistently great. The top are slightly sweet mushrooms, you've got Billy's recipe kim chee which is dynamite and then some cucumber action. I got this on a stupid day when I went to Kodaiko just to get a special Filipino-influenced special ramen, then I didn't see it on the specials chalkboard and instead ordered something I didn't really want and didn't end up being into. Frustrating, but the pickle plate was the high point. Ya know what? I like their new Japanese subway-type signage too. Pozole after the jump
I am still in the Rancho Gordo bean club even thought it's sometimes overwhelming. The boomer-heavy FB group for it is amusing too. This time they sent hominy so I made pozole. Pozole is relatively easy to make and I find most restaurant pozole to be bland.  Hydrating the chiles and blending them I guess is the hardest part. From-dried rather than canned hominy makes so much difference in the quality. I used the recipe from this Mely Martinez cookbook. I liked that she suggested lettuce as a garnish rather than cabbage. 
Gadget alert! This is an oyster shucker. It really works! The silicon flapper really gets a grip on the oyster and the knive is a good shape for piercing the oyster butt area. The whole gadget looks like a sex toy amiright? They sell them at the Sac co-op and when I told the meat counter worker about it it really seemed like they thought I was a clown 🤡. I told her about it working, not about looking like a sex toy.

Dosa alert! I went to Vik's Chaat House in Berkeley after hearing friends talk about what a classic spot it is and I had never been. I guess it used to be more janky and now is quite swanky. The crispiness/chewiness of these dosas was divine.
I don't eat them a lot but I find that I lose all control around Indian sweets such as barfi and just eat as many as I have. I did that on our London trip too. Sac must have a place for tasty treats like this, right? Where?



4 comments:

BC said...

Not sure about specifics but I seem to recall that AL-Maidah in Rancho Cordova had multiple desserts on the menu.

beckler said...

thank you!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Dosa @ Franklin & Laguna is pretty good, and is also not Vik’s

beckler said...

Mr. Dosa is a great name!