Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Where the chefs eat

The new Sactown mag has a fun cover story on where chefs eat. By the way, did you catch that Sactown bought Sacramento mag and then Sacramento went under? That's insane. I guess in the current publishing climate we can hardly expect to have 2 print publications on our dinky town but it was nice while it lasted. Quibble about quality, but I'm a fan of more writing (except sometimes in the case of fascist rag Inside East Sac, well and even then).

The chefs' top pick is Nixtaco (coincidentally to the last post) and after that Binchoyaki and Kru are neck and neck. Ravin Patel picks OBO lol.

It's interesting that Kelly McCown (who I interviewed in 2010 when he was chef of Ella before I learned the trick of ending pieces with a quote rather than a pat statement) picks Mother and also picks Bangkok Thai on 65th and Stockton saying he's almost reluctant to share it. I haven't really eaten any good Thai food since my Thailand trip; this looks like it might be another Thai/Lao place but hey, I love Lao food so I will try it.

Did you see my silly thing I wrote for Comstock's about all the businesses with "good" in the name? I still need to eat at Good Things To Eat Sacramento. I don't think Good Bottle is open in my hood yet. I think they are having some problems.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A few years back I was talking to one of my students' parents who was a chef (at Lucca, maybe?) and he said they're favorite spots to eat after work were also in on Stockton Blvd/Little Saigon.

Jed