Monday, December 06, 2004

New slang

So courtesy of Cary Rodda, I am going to introduce some new slang to the Sac lexicon: loft, as a verb. I think it can have a few different meanings. The strictest interpretation would probably be: to talk aimlessly between songs at a show. Here it is used in a sentence: The Bananas didn't finish their set list on Saturday night because they spent so much time lofting.

Here's another possible meaning: to be lazy, to slack off. As in: Sunday I had a bunch of errands to run, but I blew it off and just lofted around the house.

Or: to have no ambition. For instance: I was thinking about going to med school, but I decided to loft instead.

As you can see, this is a very handy word and I expect that it could catch on in certain circles.

Any suggestions for a word that would mean the opposite of loft? It would mean something about being really "pro". I have a few in mind, but they're mean, so I thought I would let someone else make suggestions and catch the heat.

I got goosebumps when I heard about a recent hoax on Dow Chemical regarding the anniversary of the horrible chemical spill in Bhopal. They were talking about it on Democracy Now on KDVS and as they said the BBC had been hoaxed I started to cross my fingers that it had been the work of the Yes Men, and I was right! Read about it here: http://www.theyesmen.org/ Dow still fails to take responsibility for this accident and they have not compensated the victims. If didn't see their movie at the Crest, you missed out and you should rent it on DVD.

3 comments:

DB said...

How about "Still Life Projecting"...as in, "I was going to loft around the house all night, but instead I still life projected for hours, mass e-mailing Cary Rodda and touching up my roots.

Uneasy Rhetoric said...

Sounds a lot like its synonym "loafing." You could modify loaf to fit your strict interpretation perhaps? That way "loafing onstage" would include the between-song banter.

Anonymous said...

The difference being that 'loafing' is for squares while 'lofting' is for the hip, ambitionless elite.

miller