Monday, November 07, 2005

shout out to nationwide

Sac's really just a small town (well the downtown is anyway) so we (meaning me) get really excited about stuff like how the guy who wrote Jarhead is from sac. Lisa Ninja is reading it and she posted this:

The guy who wrote the book (Anthony Swofford) is from Sacramento. I was reading it last night and he mentions how while in Saudi, he was daydreaming about where he’d eat his first hamburger when he got home, a double french with cheese from Nationwide Freezer Meats.

4 comments:

Stephen Glass said...

That guy's no slouch -- he went on to get a master's in the Iowa writing program and be an English professor, and when I hard 'im interviewed on NPR a few years back he was a pretty articulate dude(and not just for an ex-Marine). He mentioned that he came from a "military family" but nothing about being from Sacto. Now I have to find out which part.
Oh, and I guess finally read the damn book...

Anonymous said...

http://newsreview.com/issues/sacto/2005-11-03/arts.asp

Stephen Glass said...

Ah, jeez, he's from my part. Probably went to my high school (somone had to leave that place a "success," I suppose). At least he has good taste in burgers.

Anonymous said...

He mentions Carmichael a few times as well. I'm also reading it.

other ninja