Thursday, September 14, 2006

stop it kdvs!

Dear KDVS deejays-
I know that you are 20 but someday you will realize that just because a song is in Japanese or French does not make it interesting or good. This is only true for songs in Portuguese.

A prize to the heckasac reader who can make it to the end of this essay and tell me what the hell it is about.

So the news and review has a new editor. Maybe she will step things up a bit. And by that I mean hire the Barnseyard as the full-time movie critic. With lines like this, what's not to love?

Ben Affleck plays Reeves in flashbacks, and while he may be well-cast in the part, bringing the right mix of charm, melancholy, and shallowness to the role, he manages to throughly botch his New England accent. This despite the fact that Affleck actually hails from the Boston area, while George Reeves was born in Iowa and raised in Pasadena (interesting choice on the bad Boston accent, Affleck)!

or this (I can't pick just one):

Cage tries fairly hard, considering that it's Cage, but he looks worse than I've ever seen him - he's become emaciated to an alarming degree, perhaps taking his upcoming role as a CGI skeleton in "Ghost Rider" too seriously.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that would be awesome the band could cover that Hamlet/Carmen bit. "I ask to be or not to be, that is the question that I ask of thee."

Which, by the way, blew my mind not only when I read Hamlet in high school, but also when I heard Carmen. Wait! That's from Gilligan's Island!

gbomb

DJ Rick said...

The DJ on-air when you wrote this is 18.

werenotdeep said...

That can't be a real essay. It's got to be the world's longest anagram. I'll bet that's what it is. If you re-arrange all the letters, it probably means something.

Anonymous said...

I think it`s bands that sing in Tuvan that rule!!!Check out!!!--Yat Kha!!!I will have to agree with heckasac as living in Japan.I`m dire need to have english or rock en espanol!!!There was one dj on kdvs who turned me on to Califanes,Volumen Cero and Tijunia No!---I always been a fan of Mano Negra!!!As for japanese bands i burnt on the tobacco and the pricy clubs.The bands seem to rock star pose alot..gotta dash--jay

Anonymous said...

yeah,Burnt on rock star poses!!!But i Love Taiko and Minyo the shows are amazing,smoke free and cheap.I also saw a show with a harp like instrument that was amazing.Everybody here plays the git and only a few folks play the shamisen.I`m planning on bringing some bands over to kumamoto and kyushu.The shows will be at community centers and hopefully on up near mount aso..I don`t want black lung so i`m staying away from the clubs..I have gotten picky on japan rock as i walked out on too many shows..Folks that wanna come play tunage,eat kumamoto food,drink shoo chuu and whatever please say so..The Foreign Community is growing and wanna a little taste of home cookin`...take care jay

Anonymous said...

> covering that song would be just as
> good as being The Rockford De-filers
> and covering the Rockford File theme

And speaking of, tonight I found my sorely missed "The Rockford Files Theme" 45 single that I thought had been lost during some move. Now all I need is a new phonograph needle so's I could wear it out playing The Rockford Files Theme over and over again. Ah, life is good...

--james garner

Anonymous said...

Dave, Rockford D-filers is a better name than any I've thought up. Cut and print!

About that essay: having looked at the link to the guy what written it, I see that he writes competently when assigned a topic. By "competent," I mean, he can string together eniugh words to form sentences which contain a minimum of spelling and grammatic errors, hitting on the topic every seventh paragraph until the minimum quota of words has been reached.

The essay is an example of no real assignment. Just fill some space, please mister Hackworthless. Kind of like Murray Wilson forcing his son Brian to crap on a newspaper in front of his family, the editors used a phone book and a car battery and this is what came out.

Ed

Anonymous said...

Maybe being in Japanese has nothing to do with the song's scientific "coolness" factor, maybe that's obtained somewhere along the broadcast process in the electronics at KDVS ...