Wednesday, September 20, 2006

write about charles!

well......I'm leaving on vacation tonight (or vacay as I like to call it) so I won't be blogging that much for a couple of weeks. Me and smiller are taking that red eye to New York on Jetblue that many of you have probably taken. After that it's Montauk and Montreal. I'm just crossing my fingers that there won't be too much rain! I have plans to eat at Al Di La and probably the Fatty Crab in New York and hopefully some Chinatown eating because we didn't have time last time. We (meaning Scott, and probably me some of the time) will be hitting up Spuyten Duyvil, Bierkraft and maybe eating at Cafe Alsace. I have printed out the tips people gave me on Montreal and of course I have the Gourmet mag devoted to that city. So I think I'm all set.

I dined at Chada Thai again last night with a friend that hadn't been there before and she was remarking on how good it is and that she'll be going back soon. The green pumpkin curry with tofu was off the special board but we asked for it and they made it. It's so spicy and tasty. We also got a baby back ribs special that was fucking great. The only problem is that we wished we had gotten two orders! We also flagged down a friend walking by who always goes to Taste of Thai and urged them to try Chada and they said they would.

I don't know if anyone from the News and Review reads this virtual rag anymore, but if they do I'd really like to urge someone to do a feature on Charles Meyers and Harbor Winery. Yes, I'm writing something for Midtown Monthly that will be out on October 1st, but there is a way bigger story to tell there than I can tell in the little space I have with my meager reporting skills. People are lining up to tell me stories about this guy and I don't have the space to print them all. This winery is an unheralded gem and I keep finding out about more and more wines that he makes or has made in the past. KW? Anyone?

8 comments:

ACK said...

Good tip on Al Di La. I will be visiting a friend who lives in Park Slope next month. I will put that on my list to try.

beckler said...

everybody raves about it. it even lured frank bruni to-gasp-brooklyn. a couple of friends raved about the fatty crab, despite its annoying name (can't you just imagine a frat bro saying, dude, fatty crab)?

beckler said...

i totally love chez oskar too and I'll probably be eating a drunken dinner there. it's in fort greene. goat burger!

http://chezoskar.com/

Anonymous said...

not to be a downer, but i heard 'al di la' is gone down in quality the last year and is not as good as it once was, i've refrained from eatting there lately. I would recommend franny's or aurora for excellent italian in brooklyn.
see you soon. xo alicia

ACK said...

Any recommendations for a good place to get bagels in Brooklyn? Oh! and a good Jewish deli? I have always wanted to check out Zabars, but I think it is too far uptown Manhattan for us.

Anonymous said...

Best bagel in Brooklyn has to be at the Bagel Hole, which is on 7th Ave. between 12th and 13th in Park Slope.

Anonymous said...

My Italian recommendation for Brooklyn: a great trattoria in a hidden corner of Clinton Hill, it opened a few years back, called Locanda Vini e Olii (see http://www.locandavinieolii.com/menus.html)

-Erik

Anonymous said...

MONTREAL -

Go to:

Monsieur falafal - everywhere

Schwartz's on St Laurent

There's a place I love that I can't remember the name of that Maddie would know, fuck, it's not far from that one park where all the hippies hang out in near the base of Mont Royal and campus, McGill. It's a little bit of a hippie cafe. Glad I can be helpful .

And finally..EAT POUTINE. Preferrably eat it at Hooker Harvey's at 2am on St. Cat.

Miss B