Monday, May 14, 2007

the weirdest pie




The Sounds of Sacramento thing was super fun. The archives are so cool. I loved getting a glimpse of them. In the back they had a display that had stuff from Joe Sun, including that crazy 50s mannequin dude, and the giant pants and the tiny pants. It's so touching that there are people out there who care to preserve these bits of history as the city goes about destroying them. Too bad I got there after Heather Fargo left, maybe I could have taken her over to that display and given her a talking to about it. At least we'll have an awesome Z gallerie in that space soon so that I can furnish my house with overpriced tacky crap in jewel tones. Yeah, I know there is already a Z gallerie in the mall, but this one will be two blocks closer to my house, so I'll be more likely to shop there, just as I'll be more likely to shop at the Target that they're putting in there rather than the Target already in place 12 blocks away. I got a tshirt from the Sacramento Historical Society that made my head spin. Trompe l'oeil suspenders. Enough said.

The farmer's market is now exploding with produce, it's amazing. Does anyone agree with me that it should stay open later and that there should be food, similar to the wednesday one in Cesar Chavez park? There are so many sundays that I get out of the house too late for the one under the freeway, I wish it could be a morning AND afternoon event. I think people would love that. A tip, the mussels I got yesterday from the oyster guy were the best I've ever had! Sweet and tender. I made the beer and lime fish stew that Mike Thiemann created the recipe for, you know the one I printed in midtown monthly. It was the bomb. If you didn't cut it out, here it is again.


Cilantro fish stew with clams, mussels, corvina and large prawns in a XX Amber lime broth

serves 2

4 large prawns
2 small fillets of corvina or any firm-fleshed white fish
1 cups of clams and mussels @ 6 of each
2 ox. Spanish chorizo, chopped in small cubes
8 cherry tomatoes halved
6 limes juiced
1 ear of white corn, off the husk
1/2 bottle of XX Amber
1/2-1/4 Fresno pepper, sliced
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1/2 white onion shaved or julienned
1/4 cup chicken stock
olive oil
salt and pepper

In a large pan saute over high heat the clams, prawns, chorizo and corvina in olive oil until the fish and prawns are browned on one side. Flip the seafood then immediately deglaze the pan with the beer. Add the onion and corn. The chicken stock and lime juice are added to taste. Reduce the broth then add the whole picked cilantro, cherry tomatoes and Fresno pepper. Finish with salt and pepper. Enjoy! You should be left with a nice citrus broth containing beer and cilantro overtones. Most of these ingredients can be followed to recipe, but I recommend that they be added to taste.


I also made a pie from cherries that I got at the farmer's market without really using a recipe or the right kind of cherries. It was weird. But ok.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The farmers market is the best! Liv and I make it there most weekends.

This is a good opening for me to pipe up about my Sacto pipe-dream:

an outdoor market on K Street.

it would be so great to have a permanent farmers market there, along with maybe some book stalls, a newsstand, snack shops...

It's the only thing I can think of that would revitalise K Street well, aside from the obvious: letting people drive on it.

Anonymous said...

I will de-lurk and say hooray for SAMCC and the Sacto Historical Society. I was lucky enough to get a short term grant funded gig that involved working with all those people - super nice and just so much fun getting to be around people who care about preserving Sacramento's history. Plus they have the craziest stuff, like the official 'film library' (old KCRA footage) related to Patty Hearst and the SLA terrorizing Northern California.

beckler said...

the city will be open to your idea as soon as walmart gets into the farmer's market business. until then, z galleries as far as the eye can see!

beckler said...

i would be psyched if the archives had an sla exhibit!

beckler said...

and sla could reunite and play it!

beckler said...

can anyone tell me how i post a picture on a yelp review? i can't find the option on the page or any answer in the faqs

Anonymous said...

Heh, they totally could do something about Sacto True Crime between the SLA and the Unabomber! I wonder if his shack is still in storage over at Mather Field?

beckler said...

I'm thinking that they won't because it would be insensitive to the victims. But SLA could write a special song called "we're sensitive to the victims" and maybe it would be ok.

Anonymous said...

You can't post a photo on your review but you can under "edit this business"

wburg said...

I really, really want to do a Sacramento True Crime History thing. I'm still hunting through looking for information about little-known (and well-known) local serial killers like Gerald Gallego and Dorothea Puente (I know some folks who used to refer people to her board & care home.)In general, it could be part of a larger project on the secret history of Sacramento--this place used to be quite the den of vice, sin and other assorted good times.

The SNR did that local serial killer/weirdness map a few years ago, but it could use some enhancement. I'm still on the trail of Jack the Clipper!

I liked the SAMCC event although I was stuck behind my table most of the time, and my head was all spinny from writing (I finished my Southside Park book this weekend, and was even able to include just a little bit about Tony Baretta's in it) so I wasn't able to look around very much.

Personally I think the rad place for a farmer's market would be the big open space in the Greyhoud station.

beckler said...

next to the vending machines?

yeah, tony beretta's! isn't JM going to open a private club there?

wburg said...

nah, I was thinking where the buses park now. Open to the street, quite a bit of skylight, and it would give a new purpose to a rad building. I know that the big dogs want to just tear that whole thing out and replace it with something tall and annoying, but a guy can dream, can't he? Maybe they could slap some urban loft living on the corner or somethin'.

I don't know the current skinny on Beretta's, one side effect of doing all these local-history gigs is that I tend to know more about what happened in Sacramento 50-100 years ago than I know about what is happening here now. Apparently they had killer sno-cones and it was mostly an old guy hangout for the Italians and Portuguese.