Thursday, October 11, 2007

introducing...ganglians

Just yesterday I was saying that if someday I need to write a profile of Vanoni, and lo and behold, he's on the cover of the News and Review! It's about damn time. The News and Review continues their streak of nudity and semi nudity with a picture in the article. Of course as usual, it's a chick. Can't we have some equal opportunity nudity here?

No one is supposed to mention how I said I was going to retire, because then I get embarrassed about it. Can't a woman change her mind?

I checked out the two dollar bar food McCormick and Schmick's happy hour thing yesterday. The place looks like a hotel banquet room inside, which really surprised me. I thought it was really fancy, but the cheap tiling and green carpeting (you should never have carpet in a restaurant, never!) make it look kind of crappy. Between four and six, and from 930 to close, they offer two dollar Coors Light or Bug on draft, and some food items for two bucks. There's a two drink minimum, which seems to be enforced, but they don't have to be alcoholic drinks. Long story short, the food was pretty mediocre. I mean, of course it was, it was two bucks! You can get two oysters on the half shell for two bucks, and when I asked which kind the waitress started to say it's whatever they need to get rid of, and then tried to pretend that's not what she was saying. Of course that's what they are, they're two bucks! You know what else they were? Room temperature. Not appetizing. They didn't make me sick or anything, they just weren't delicious. Everything else was just OK, too. But they do have a hamburger AND fries for two bucks, so if you're really broke, have at it. The best thing I had? A Moscow Mule, which was like 8 bucks.

The house show last night was fun and really well attended. A whole new generation of kids, and they're not bad! The only thing I object to is the unecessary hats. I'm all for hat nerding, but when it's warm inside and everyone is wearing knit hats, I just fixate on the fact that I know their heads are getting all hot and sweaty and why not just take the hat off at that point? The highlight was a new Sac band that was good and I've never seen anyone in it before in my life. They're called Ganglians. We were tripping on them and wondering what their influences are, and I guess you can tell from their myspace.

10 comments:

beckler said...

Bud, not bug. I wish there was a new beer called bug.

Josh Nice said...

pugh leaves !!!


http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/46289-john-pugh-leaves-fires-up-free-blood

beckler said...

I thought gorman was in free blood? I'm confused. Josh, there's a thing in midtown monthly about the guy that's putting out the free blood record. what's his label name? anyone? is it rong music? anyway, he's some new yorkish guy who's living in sac because he's going to davis. it's kinda funny that he lives here.

beckler said...

a free blood song called "never hear surf music" played when i went to the rong music myspace. it's good!

beckler said...

man, you people in the bay are stoked! the castro is having a bergman retrospective. i don't think i can make it to any of them. i recommend going to the cries and whispers showing

http://www.thecastrotheatre.com/coming-soon.html

beckler said...

fuck! and on october 18th a double feature of love and death and interiors?! i've never seen interiors but it's in my queue. fuck! i can't go. fuck sacramento's theaters. why can't we play shit like this? oh i know, cuz only about five people would go, and only one of them would have paid to get in.

HK said...

I'm so bummed I missed this show! I'm stuck pet/house sitting in Davis.

Blarg!

-hk

archbishop said...

Moscow Mule! One of my favorite drinks, especially since I've only had one of them. It's a pain in the ass to find. I got a fancy bartender in SF to make me one. She was just as surprised that I ordered one, as I was surprised to find a bartender who could make one.

I heard on NPR about the bartender in SF who buys her own stuff and makes special drinks. Well worth the drive.

She did a great job and blended her own ginger.

Anonymous said...

That house show was really fun. All the bands were great and everyone was really nice. I like it when Rick posts his percentages of who will like certain shows. He's usually spot on. Thanks house show people!

-H. Conway Esq

wburg said...

It was a nice house show. As usual I hung out for the first two songs and went home because I'm a party pooper like that, but the two songs were good.

I liked the McCormick & Schmick's $2 burger and fries. They didn't enforce the two-drink minimum for me, unless you count a cup of coffee with a free refill as "two drinks."