Monday, December 17, 2007

grandmas, rejoice!

The Bananas were ON FIRE MUY CALIENTE yesterday at the elegant Silk Bar in Del Paso heights. Do not miss your chance to see them on New Years because like a fine wine, they just keep getting better, and like an aged cheese they just keep getting moldier rinds (not to mention the occasional whiff of ammonia).

I hesitate to share this with you because I want to be the sole guardian of this secret so that I can impress people with my pie crust, but I am by nature a person who cannot keep a secret, so I have to share with you that the soulless robo-cooks over at Cook's Illustrated have for real, created a recipe for the easiest to work with and flakiest and best pie crust ever. The secret ingredient is vodka! Cuz you know how pie crust is a war between moisture and tender flakiness? I personally will always err on the side of flakiness, usually by adding very little moisture and not mixing very vigorously, and subsequently I have ugly pies that are a real trauma to roll out. When I read this recipe I was sooo skeptical. Making pie crust in a food processor? Grandmas everywhere are gnashing their teeth. But they swore that the addition of vodka eliminates the problem of too much water making it tough and they are totally right! It's amazing. The dough is so nice to roll out, it really is like playdough. No stress, beautiful pies and the crust has big shattery flakes. My modifications would be to take out the sugar and double the salt, because I like a salty crust. Here's the link.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plus it gets you wasted.

-miller

Anonymous said...

The crust or the Bananas?

Anonymous said...

after that pyrate punx show, the Bananas are crust

beckler said...

despite the unfortunate spelling and mental associations, the pyrate punx are really cool. i hope they put on more shows and the silk bar is a pretty good venue.

Anonymous said...

...just not nine band shows. Three bands is just fine.

beckler said...

that was because of the time constraints on the all-ages show, right? you can't really have a three band show that ends at eight. by the time anyone shows up all the bands will have played. besides, since it was in d.p.h, you could take breaks to thrift during bands you didn't want to see.

HK said...

Holy shit, I have to try this recipe!
Silk Show was fun! I wish I could have made it out earlier; I'm bummed I missed the 4eyes again. Damn those finals at school.

Anyways, back to pie. We've gotta have a pie party at my place next year. Start thinking of a good pie to make!!

-hk

JB said...

Beckler-

Do you ever use lard in your crusts? I recently got ahold of some good lard and the pie crusts are crazy. The bottom of a non-prebaked fruit pie came out flaky. I still use mostly butter, 'cause flakiness with no flavor is no good. But a bit of lard in the mix does wonders.

Anonymous said...

yeah, i've been thrilled with the shows the pyrate punx have been bringing to town this last year -- tons of bands that would have never stopped here in the past. I also like the Silk and it looks to be a sustainable place for shows to happen. 9 band shows aren't my favorite (although neither are 3 band shows -- too short), but I was surprised how well the Crime show went -- it didn't feel like a punishing marathon, maybe cuz most of the bands were really enjoyable and the whole thing started and ended on time, all the bands set up quickly, and nobody played too long.

Anonymous said...

For the record, The Bananas never get you wasted, but they are more than happy to let you get them wasted.

g "jello shots" bomb

Anonymous said...

An important distinction.

-miller