Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Let me take you on a little trip


I guess I better post again to try to keep things on a positive tip, as I have been commanded to do. How's your Summer going? Mine has been pretty good so far. I should tally the times I go swimming and camping, because that's what I want to do in the Summer.

Verge show opens tomorrow. Scott will be playing some music, I hesitate to call it DJing. There will be cans of Oly and some period correct 70s grub. I am going to try to find time to make some food, probably on Ritz crackers.

Speaking of DJing, I will be doing so on Saturday night when everyone else is at that DAM house show. If you like Mike Love and the song Apeman then I suggest you come to Bows and Arrows and hear some tunes. The kids are going to go wild for the 70s novelty rock that I will play. The second saturday show there is local artist doing portraits of each other. Local artists such as...Biggert. It all comes back to Biggert, doesn't it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For Biggert's thing I'm just having him pick out a bunch of his favorite jazz records/songs & I'm putting them on a few CDs to play at the show. I just can't picture anything Biggert-related without beer & good jazz. If only the smell of hand-rolled cigarettes could be pumped in to the Verge.

-miller

Anonymous said...

and for those saying wtf is a biggert:

http://www.midtownmonthly.net/dougbiggert.html

-omf

beckler said...

from a sacbee article about railyard development problems:

The city, however, has its own financial disagreement to work out with Thomas. The two are headed to arbitration over a 2006 deal in which the city paid the developer $55 million for a portion of the property. The deal was rushed through, before the city appraised the parcels, because Thomas needed the money right away to wrap up the purchase of the entire 240-acre site from Union Pacific.

Who could ever have forseen any problems with rushing through a 50 million dollar land deal?

beckler said...

jeez-430 comments on the squeeze inn story!

wburg said...

beckler: The best part about the city's loan for the land deal is that the city floated the money on the grounds that they would purchase the Amtrak passenger station and surroundings, and Thomas Enterprises would return whatever of that $55 million was in excess of the cost of the depot.

Now Thomas claims the depot property is worth $80 million, and the city has had the property assessed, their assessor says it is worth $8 million. So the city wants $47 million back, and Thomas Enterprises wants an extra $35 million.

It's kind of like giving your friend a $20 to buy you a six-pack, he comes back with the beer and you know it cost $4 but he claims it costs $30 and wants another ten bucks before he'll give you the beer.

beckler said...

I seem to remember posting about this at the time and saying it was ridiculous! The disparity between the two amounts is sadly funny. Anybody who lives in Kevin McCarty's district remember that he was the lone dissenting voice on the city council.