Thursday, September 16, 2010

oh honey

Don't forget the Sandwitches and Touchez (pronounced "touches") show at The Hub tonight. 830.

The new News and Review is kinda blowing my mind. I always trip when people say they don't read it at all. I can understand skimming a few sections, but if you don't read it's pretty much like not checking out what's really going on in our community. I usually read it cover to cover, with the exception of the food review, which I find hard to swallow. I can't stomach it, either, and it gives me indigestion and acid reflux. This week brought Nick's riveting man-on-the-street account of 2nd Saturday. Again, as it sinks in I feel more like a schmuck that my first thought was about the future of the event rather than about Victor Zavala and his friends and family. If it was someone close to me I don't know how I'd be able to deal with the fact that that's where everyone's attention instantly turned. I know the world can't stop because of it, but it's really tragic.

I also was stoked and surprised to see the new MidMo referenced, with a picture of the cover and everything! I can't find a link to it online. The "Keep Midtown Janky" issue of MidMo has been our most buzzed-about yet and it's pretty gratifying.

Then of course you have Bites, which is always juicy, and the fact that Dan Barnes has a column and any number of things like Nick's coverage of !!! and Seven Seconds playing on the same bill at the Fuck Yeah Fest (worst name) in LA and it's really worth the read. Plus, oh honey! Your're reading Ask Joey, right?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's the most amount of sucking up I've seen in a long long time.

Anonymous said...

No column next week.

-DB

Anonymous said...

Actually, I believe the grammatically correct way to say that is the "mostest amount"

------------WH

beckler said...

Is it really? That's a bit hyperbolic. It stemmed from me reading the new one at lunch and was my immediate reaction. I hadn't read any coverage of the whole under-age crackdown thing and I thought it was pretty poignant how Nick captured the plight of the poor girls who got arrested because their dad was late picking them up. I felt like that could happen to anybody.

Or are you saying I'm sucking up to Zavala's family by saying it's tragic?

beckler said...

...and it's embarrassing to even address the death in a stupid forum like a blog, I know. there's nothing to say.

Anonymous said...

I haven't picked up SNR more than 3-4 times a year for close to a decade. I was a HUGE fan when SNR began, but these days I feel that it's become predictably self-righteous, plus I got really tired of the endless Bee bashing.

Anonymous said...

The first comment is making me misty for the glory days when anonymous disses were a daily occurence over here.

-miller

Anonymous said...

Is that the most amount of nostalgia you've felt in a while?

----------WH

Anonymous said...

I think the News and Review has been really great the last few years.

I also very much enjoy Bee bashing.

I got a beer to go last night!
gbomb

Anonymous said...

i miss josh fernandez,

anonymous 916 rapper

beckler said...

If you don't have time in your life or whatever I understand, but how do you find out what's going on in the city? Is the Bee your only source? The Bee is a source, but their perspective is skewed towards business interests. Now we have Sac Press, too, but that hasn't been around that long. we need a local gadfly that buzzes in the ears of the powerful.

Anonymous said...

That's right, every time I file a story here I think "What Would Tsakopoulos Do?" (WWTD)

beckler said...

C'mon, you can't argue that the Bee overall doesn't serve to hype development! The bullshit detector is turned pretty low. It's still an indispensable source of information, and I can't imagine Sacramento without it, but you're not exactly making developers bust out in a cold sweat when you call.

Anonymous said...

To be fair, barrel-chested bull's of men don't bust out in a cold sweat easily.

-miller

Blanket Claims Dept. said...

Oh believe me, there are plenty of us who would love to keep midtown janky. But some newsroom mandate to hype development and developers? That's news to me ...

Anonymous said...

I feel like i get plenty of news from capitol public radio and websurfing... and, these days Facebook status updates/links. Due to that alone I actually feel more plugged in to local news now than I have in years. Sometimes I'll wind up on SNR's site but I'm as or more likely to end up at the Bee, sacpress or a local blogger's site. I guess I just feel like SNR jumped the shark a while ago.

beckler said...

true, cpr is a good source. fine, i guess you don't have to read it. i think cosmo's reporting alone is reason enough.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist about the Bee. I don't think there are secret backroom meetings or anything. Just not enough digging and chop busting. Turn up the bullshit detector!

Bring Me the Head of Art German said...

Fair enough, but keep in mind that the comments about mr. barrel chested are the opinions (at least the published ones) of a single columnist. Just because you've written for the SN&R doesn't mean you're in lockstep with Ask Joey, right?

Anonymous said...

SNR may have jumped the shark several years ago, but I still say their finest issue was the one where Fonzie meets The Lone Ranger.

-DB