Thursday, September 22, 2011

nostalgia

The "Best Of" SNR is out, but, annoyingly, I could not get it at the Davis Co-op today.  Sometimes I like to bust out the lazy Davis distributor by emailing NM about it.  The winners of best blog (who cares about anything else?) were...a fully-funded website (SacPress), something called P Weekly that seems....irreverent.  And Poor Girl Eats Well.  I've met her and she's nice so congrats to PGEW!

Speaking of SacPress I read in the Bee today that David Watts Barton got laid off there?!?!? That is awful.  He wrote a pretty raw thing about it.  Does anyone get the Josh Fernandez comment?  Good luck, DWB.  You have millions of connections in Sac and I'm sure you'll bounce back.
 Soo......yesterday I came out of the Davis Beer Shoppe and my car was on fire.  It was a small fire, there were flames licking out of some electrical wires.  Freaky.  A wrecking yard came and got it and gave me 300 bucks.  The Blue Devil is no more.  I never called it that until just this second.  My mom bought this car new in 1993.  I don't even know when she gave it to me.  8 years ago?  I never put the title in my name until a few weeks ago: typical.  There's a Mazatlan sticker on it because that's where my mom and dad used to vacation every year.  But then they got divorced (violins) and now she lives there.  I've always hated the "exploring alternate realities" sticker that my mom put on it but I left it because it was funny.  I remember a friend pointed out that it should be "alternative realities", not "alternate"  MD clandestinely put the Bananas stickers on, including Calvin pissing on the Bananas (well, maybe I put that one on), there was one of the limited edition "keep midtown janky" stickers that YOU STILL CAN'T BUY on the MidMo website, for reasons unknown.  And a Montauk Lighthouse sticker that Smiller and I got when we rode bikes to it.  I somehow got lost in the woods on my bike that day and we were looking for each other for a half hour in a way that seemed scary at the time.  There was a Poinsettia "a sunny place for shady people" sticker that came off.  What else? Oh yeah, the Big Foot Museum in Felton, that was a great weekend.  And a Finches sticker, and a Grateful Dead steal your face, or course.  All meaningful.
 Bye bye car!!
Here's the new one: Black Beauty.  A 96 Geo Prizm.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Puto!!!

ec

Josh Fernandez said...

(To Josh Fernandez: I love you, mijo, but you’re missing the point. Let’s have a beer.)


It's his sly, passive-aggressive and creepy method of revealing that he is my biological father.

Liv Moe said...

that explains a lot.

Charles Albright said...

"exploring alternate realities", is how identified your car for years! Just that one sticker. and you have that car since at least 2001.

Charles

beckler said...

really? that long?

Anonymous said...

Josh,

Your orneriness is bona fide.

I happen to have just finished designing a "Connecting With Your Feelings Worksheet." You want me to fax you a copy of it?

--knowcebo

Josh Fernandez said...

No, I'm good. It took me an hour to read the word "orneriness," so I've got a lot of other catching up to do.

ducko said...

This is without a doubt the Best of the Best of Sacramento's....all because there is that rather large photo of LivMoe in it. How did that get past her security detail?

Anonymous said...

I have ONE kmj sticker left and it can be yours...all yours if you would like it. Sorry about your car. Tim should still have my contact info I believe.

--Melanie