Friday, February 03, 2012

polenta n' eggs

Man, polenta is so versatile! It's worth the 40 minutes of stirring.  I made this polenta like a week ago, and I just keep slicing it up and frying it.

If you liked the movie Drive you should check out The Driver.  Refn lifted his opening sequence directly from this movie.  This movie has some of the most wooden acting you will ever see (between Isabelle Adjani and Ryan O'Neal I'm not sure which one is duller, and Bruce Dern just acts like a little bitch), but the car chases are AMAZING.  I don't know how the fuck he staged them.  And a bunch of the scenes are set in Union Station in LA.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is homemade polenta a lot better than the tubed stuff? I rarely eat either, so I am curious.

gbomb

beckler said...

I'm not sure. It's pretty flavorful and corn-y.

The Armeniac said...

The tubed stuff is more solid/rubbery, if you make it at home you can dictate the texture, which is one of the many magical aspects of polenta. It can be like grits or pancakes or dense bread!!

wburg said...

Try it in a crock pot--that way you only have to stir once every half hour for a couple hours instead of constantly for 40 minutes. Much less work, and the result is very smooth and tasty. Add bacon or leftover ham for scrapple!

Anonymous said...

I've never stirred for this long, I'm curious how you prepare it? I make it much like I would make couscous, which takes 5-10 minutes tops. Also I would really recommend it with cheese grated in. mmmm.
jamattack!

beckler said...

Marcella Hazan's recipe calls for you to add it so slowly that you can see individual grains (this kind of direction is typical for her) and then stir for 40-45 minutes. Last time we stopped at like 25 and it seemed done.

beckler said...

Yeah, parmesan grated in or like a quarter stick of butter is really good.