Monday, January 13, 2020

Varda by Agnes on Thursday

Hey, how great that Jeffrey Day is keeping up his blogging and has a couple new posts linked on his blog at right. On Saturday I also checked out the Thiebaud-curated show at Elliot Fouts (cool to see original Krazy Kat artwork!) and the Axis show. When I arrived at Axis a young woman (maybe one of the artists?) was singing a song and accompanying herself on what I think is either a lyre or that instrument that Spock played once on Star Trek. The Axis show is cool and also don't forget the Verge movie night is this Thursday (that reminds me, I need to get a ticket online - members are free). It's the doc "Varda by Agnes" and is her final film, about her career. Right, did she make it? Or did someone make it about her?

I went to Waterboy last night. If you want to hear about it, it's after the jump

I got a reservation for Sunday night, and yes, it is busy enough on a regular Sunday eve that you would be advised to get one. The host took my coat, which started a smooth ride with service what didn't let up during our two hour meal. The waitstaff was helpful but not intrusive. I hadn't been in quite a long time, and the menu had changed more than I expected, since they seem to have a few greatest hits they maintain, but the sweetbreads and anchovies (those are two different dishes) are still on the menu. I had ciopinno in mind since it's crab season and I have yet to eat any crab, but they surprised me by having a seaffood risotto instead. We started with the chicken liver pate appetizer, very good. We also split a teeny salad of beets avocado and crab. That was just ok, not very inspiring. Then my brothy, lightly smoky risotto. Delicious!

The wine list at Waterboy is not to my taste and I usually don't drink much on Sundays so I just got a glass of Champagne to start, to pair with the chicken liver. Perfect.
 The seasonal crostada at Waterboy is a classic Sacramento dessert. It's served warm, and the current one is marmalade and pistachio, with buttermilk ice cream. The bill with tip and the one glass of wine was 85 each. It was a lovely meal in a cozy space. I heart The Waterboy!

My battery is totally crappy on my iPhone 8 so I think I'm going to get an 11 pretty soon. Maybe it will magically fix my food photography!

4 comments:

jeffrey day said...

yum

Scott Miller said...

It being Heckasac, The Waterboy must always be referred to as "your beloved Waterboy"

beckler said...

did someone bust my chops and i forgot?

Scott Miller said...

Yeah in like 2012