Thursday, October 07, 2021

Restaurant adventures

 I've been going to restaurants slightly more often recently, but still have not dined inside. I probably will on an upcoming vacay to chiller climes.

I had a funny Friday night dining experience. A friend was coming from SF, with a tiny dog, so I thought Joon would be perf. I've only had one lunch there so far but loved it. I didn't know the deal with their dinner, at least on weekends. What is the deal? Glad you asked. They are very popular, and you need reservations. They are counter service at lunch, table service at dinner. When we checked for party of 4 (I was kinda willing to try inside) it was a 90 minute wait. They had like 6 empty picnic tables on the side, which are not primo seating but which I would have gladly taken, but due to the employee shortage they can't serve those. I wish they would let you get takeout and sit there, but they won't. 

So then, the dilemma, where to go? Trying to show the friend that Sac is "cool". Also, me and Smiller rode there. So we had two folks on bikes, 2 in cars, and one adorable pomeranian/chihuahua mix. 100% Sellands did not cross our minds because I enjoy flavorful food.

We settled on Jamie's, where I have not been since before the pandemic started. We pile in one car, leave the bikes safely in the bosom of East Sac (best Sac? I told you I'm on this new kick).

Arrive to Jamies just as Smiller realizes he left his phone on his bike (he's got a thing rigged to put it on his handle bars for playing tunes). Where could it be safer than East Sac? But anyway, he and EC head to get it. 

Me and the friend, getting really hungry now, ask for "patio" which is really two tables in the Jamie's back parking lot (who knew they had one?). This is due to my request, everyone else would have dealt with eating inside, I'm just nervous. They say no because they are short staffed, but then reconsider (I promise I didn't whine) and say ok. Soon the two of us are out back, gratefully drinking Anchor Steams. EC and Smiller take a while, and both servers at Jamie's checking on us are SO NICE.

They arrive, phone safe (of course) and we ravenously over order. Calamari, clam chowder, club sandwich, two garlic steak sandwiches and I get the turkey and cran san (notice I do not say sando). More brews get drank. We wonder what Guy Fieri ordered when he was there for DDD and conclude it had to be the garlic steak sandwich.

Everything is delish, their turkey is so good. The calamari is tender and has cocktail sauce to dunk in. We are stoked.

aforementioned cute dog

But it's so funny that I wanted to take CM to a charming little jewel of a place and we end up in a dirty parking lot with a view of a dumpster and the freeway, I'll complete the picture by adding that the AQI was really bad this day and we got dirty sky and orange sun. It felt appropriately apocalyptic for these times and was a meal I will never forget. I love Jamie's even more now.

Greek flex

Then we hit up the tail end of the Greek Festival and enjoy a lot of muscular guys drunk on ouzo (that sounds pervy the way I write it and ok fair) and then I try to get ouzo and they have RUN OUT OF OUZO, despite multiple people there wearing tshirts saying "Got Ouzo?" to which I had to sadly cry oxi (aka no in Greek), and we got those honey donuts (loukoumades). There was a super pro Greek band, with a guy with a real for real bouzouki and folk dancing including willowy dancers from the folk dancing troupe. He had a very Sac night, for better or worse!

POSTSCRIPTS: 

1) I don't like Jamie's fries though. They are those coated-style fries. What is this lumpy coating? And why?

2) Part of the back parking lot has a quonset hut where Jamie's was doing dining when there was no indoor dining, and bands used to play there. The stage is flanked by 7 foot tall Coors and Coors light cans. Someone contact them to have a show!!

1 comment:

Peej said...

This is a classic Heckasac post.