Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Boneriffic

Shortbus was good. I'd recommend it. It was a trip to see orgy scenes set to Animal Collective songs. I mean, that's usually what I'm picturing when I'm listening to it but I didn't know anyone else was. The shocking thing about Shortbus is how it's completely not shocking it is to see real sex on screen. I wish I could live to see the day when most people (and the ratings board) stop tripping on boners (which is a good way to hurt yourself) and when sex scenes can just be integrated into a movie in a way that's more like real life. Stupid Janet and her stupid nipple slip means we're farther away from that than we have been since the sixties unfortunately. Tonight and thursday at eight oclock are the only showings of Talk To Her at the Crest. Tomorrow is the Flower of my Secret.

I tried a new restaurant with GW last night. It's-surprise-a sushi place. It's called Sakura Teppan grill and it's on J between 8th and 9th (or 7th and 8th-can't remember). It's across the street from those brand new luxury lofts. Who the fuck is going to live in those places? I was looking at the floor plans and they just look like apartments to me. I don't understand what makes them "lofts". I think the only thing loftlike is that the floor plan is slightly more open and that Nic Offer lives under the stairs. OK, the restaurant. It's hard to find something to say because it's the same as every other sushi restaurant in Sac. Except that they have lots of expensive grilled items (steak, seafood) that absolutely no one is ever going to order. The server was laughably inexperienced, but in a way that didn't really hurt our dining experience. The stuff on the menu has numbers next to it and she forced us to give her the numbers because she was clearly not familiar with any of the names of the food, even basic nigiri. One annoying thing is that we specifically ordered a big roll because of the types of fish it had on it and they sent out a roll that they might as well call the "whatever roll" because it wasn't very closely tied to the menu description and had a bunch of other stuff on it. Like "they won't care let's just put whatever on it". It's a slight big cheaper than most places, so it has that going for it.

So I spied this market in that horrible tiny strip mall in Alkali Flats next to 16th street the other day and I was curious. Smiller checked it out after I sent him this thing off Chowhound and he said it seems really cool. The guy that runs it is a seafood supplier for a bunch of fancy places and he says they are going to get quality fresh fish every day and that he roasts his own roast beef and stuff. One problem is right now he's planning on closing around five, which is a terrible idea for a market. Usually when I'm making dinner after work I do the shopping after work (obvs). Hope he extends his hours.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that market is open. I have been waiting. I was hoping for a Mexican butcher with delicious tacos, but what can you do?

gbomb

DB said...

As the man who first coined the word (see: News and Review, Winter 2001), I feel qualified to correct your spelling of "boneriffic". As linguist worth his salt knows, the correct spelling is "bonerific". This is despite the incorrect spelling from the aforementioned 2001 SNR piece, where the copy editor at the time saw fit to make it "boner-ific", thus forever muddling matters. That's why I'm here to set the record straight, once and for all: "bonerific".

By the way, "The Prestige" is pretty awesome.

werenotdeep said...

I'm going to have to argue that bonerific can't be right. It's an amalgamation of "Boner" and "Terrific". One "f" may be correct, but one "r" definately can't be. Every time you amalgamate a word with "Teriffic", you need to leave in the entire "-riffic". I won't cite them, but there are countless examples.

If I read "bonerific" I'd think it was an amalgamation of "Bone" and "Teriffic", not "Boner" and "Teriffic". I think 2 r's is proper.

Anonymous said...

here is a clip of the hungry march band at the shortbus premeire in new york. if you watch closely you can see my shoulder at the 53 second mark. i'm wearing a white t-shirt of course.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZNpCuSPyOw

DB said...

Ever hear of a bonerr? That makes no sense at all. At the end of the day, I created the word (it's in print, ladies and gentlemen), and I will decide the proper spelling, which is "bonerific". Problem solved.

Anonymous said...

As the bonerific debate rages, I would like to toss in my two cents: I'm voting for Dan's spelling.

-Heckamax

beckler said...

You would. I smell sexism. I think I've become a victim to the old boners network. And that I've hit the boner ceiling that so many women encounter in the workplace.

Anonymous said...

Put it to a vote. Then once it is decided, campaign to include it in Webster's Dictionary.

-Heckamax

P.S. I haven't heard of the boner ceiling since hanging out with Geiger while designing sets for Alien 4.

werenotdeep said...

I think I can safely say without any hesitation that I have more experience with boners than most people, and definately everybody else commenting on this thread.

But that's besides the point. If you make up an entirely new word, that's one thing. But if you make up a word that is an amalgamation, that's another. My point is that however you spell it, it's an amalgamation of the words "Boner" and "Teriffic". I think it's reasonable to keep the spelling of "Boner" in its entirity as part of the amalgamated word in order to verify identity of the word (as I pointed out earlier, omiting the "r" at the end of boner would confuse it with the word "bone") and you can't truncate "teriffic" to just "-iffic". It just doesn't work.
It needs it's own "r", so there has to be an "r" to complete "boner" and another "r" to start off the tail end of "terrific".

DB said...

Bonerific.

werenotdeep said...

Guess you like bones.

Anonymous said...

Can't we all just get a dong?

har har

-miller

beckler said...

I'm calling unecessary har har on that comment. Flag on the field!

Anonymous said...

LOL

-miller