Monday, February 26, 2007

various miscellaneous etc.s

The Ski Instructors show was so much fun! And the ohsees were rad but perhaps played a wee bit too long for such a late show. Does anyone have pictures? I forgot to bring my camera.

I checked out the Cheesesteak Grille in the farflung reaches of Roseville this weekend. Cheesesteaks are the new hamburgers as far as I'm concerned, and you can quote me on that. This place gets its rolls flown in from Philly and they give you the option of having cheese whiz on your sandwich, which I guess is the authentic way to go. It was delicious. The meat was a wee bit better than Grand Central Station but the New York sauce and fresh horseradish at GCS put that sandwich over the top for me. We also then went by the Quarry Pond shopping center in Granite Bay. Most of the shops aren't open yet, but we did go by Regionale Produce, which is a very impressive store opened by a woman (named Andru) that I used to work with at the co-op. The produce variety is cool, and it's presented beautifully. It's affordable and I loaded up a bag of stuff, everything from fennel to apples to eggs. I was not as impressed with Wine Styles, which had a fancy catacomb-like decorating scheme (a few skulls here and there and some tonsures would have completed the effect) but had a small variety of wine in such a big space. You can taste wine there, but they didn't have much open that I wanted to taste. There's going to be a cheese shop and a meat and fish shop, and there's a pizza place called Pizza Antica that's already open. Pizza Antica is a small chain. It's disappointing that among the mostly independent businesses (Dara Denim and Shoefly have shops there, too) that the coffee shop is a Peet's. I love Peet's coffee, don't get me wrong, but it seems like a good opportunity for an indie place to make it. The vibe of this shopping center is very yuppie, of course, but it was still refreshing to go to a planned out project that had some interesting shops. If Granite Bay can do it, why not Sac?

Speaking of yuppies, I also went to David Berkeley for sandwiches this weekend. They were really good. One of them had stuffing on it! I had never noticed before the DB really isn't a full-service market compared to Cortis or Taylors, however, the meat and seafood in their case looks great. There were some veal chops and some lamb that I had my eye on, and I want to go back soon. The wine selection was pretty Cali-centric but more affordable than I expected.

There are a lot of new thrift stores opening in the burbs. We passed a Goodwill on Douglas that didn't used to be there, and there is a giant Salvation Army by the freeway on the way to Roseville and I saw another Goodwill on Fulton near the mall, which means there are two really close by in that area. Anyone had any good scores at any of those? The thrifting in Woodland was soooo dudly the other day. I don't think I'm going to thrift there any more.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you noticed the new place going in at the southeast corner of 29th and P - it's called Suzie's or something. The sign says they're due to open this summer in a former auto repair / oil change shop... Burgers AND Cheesesteaks.

Anonymous said...

That Goodwill on Fulton is not exactly near the mall... but it is at Fulton and Hurley. And I think it pretty much sucks. Lots of new dollar store-type products, priced higher than the dollar stores for the most part, $2 records (no matter how torn up they are, or how much they suck), etc. I have picked up one record from there. And a puzzle I sold. That's it. It's been open since around September of last year, I think.

Anonymous said...

From what little I can find on Suzie Burger, I'm wondering if it's the same place that was on 24th right past Broadway that's now a bagel place. And what I'm really wondering is if, before it was at the 24th & Broadway location, if it's the same business that was called I think Suzie's Snacks that was in the same court area that the Belle Cooledge Library is in on Freeport. I have a really vague memory of going there as a little kid & all I remember is that I loved the burger & it was routinely used as a bribe to make me behave at the library. Does anyone else remember that place?

-miller

Anonymous said...

Suzie's Snacks is at the core of all my sensory experiences of burgers. A foundational memory that has informed all my subsequent longings for that entire spectrum of food. I'd be afraid to revisit it for fear it would shatter the complicated architecture I've built up around the smell coming off their grill, and the sight and sound of a pickle being put in a little paper bag.
JD

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the stuffing sandwich at DB! It has a (not cran)berry sauce on it too.

Miller, I don't remember the name, but I had a customer tell me recently that an old Land/Curtis Park burger place that closed years ago was going to reopen. Somehow "suzie" doesn't sound right, but that bagel location does.

Anna

Jeff M. said...

this is gonna sound bitchy, but I thought the Ski Instructors were awesome until they actually started playing. they had the hippie light show and the hunky front man with his silly jokes ('it's all down hill from here'), but I really didn't see the point in them not playing in time. We're not talking polymetrics here. We're talking boom bash boom bash. Practice a little there, Ski Instructors!

Anonymous said...

That was out first show in 3 years. We didn't spend those 3 years practicing. I can send you a full refund if you give me your address.

-miller

beckler said...

at least he called you hunky.

Anonymous said...

I love when people preface a comment with "not to..." do something and proceed to do just that.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but the best pop music is generally a sloppy affair. If you want precision, go see a cover band at Marilyn's.

-- Patrone

Jeff M. said...

P, I didn't preface my comment with "not to..." I said it was going to sound bitchy, which it did. I see you taste for sloppy music is equal to your sloppy reading skills.

No need for refund, Ski Instructor band guy. I didn't know you read this blog...or I wouldn't have dissed your band here. I probably wouldn't have called you hunky either. You know, I just got yelled out the other day by another local musician after I wrote a bad review of his show on my blog. I see that before long I will have alienated the entire sacramento music community.

But hell, the band was out of time, and the singer guy was hunky. Should I not speak the truth? Then again, maybe I'm just a dick. Or something worse. Maybe you'll tell me what in this very thread.

This is like the 3rd tussle I've gotten in on this thread, which is usually so sedate and fun. I don't even enjoy the negative attention. It makes me feel bad when people flame me. I think i'd better just keep my trap shut and save my comments for my own blog.

but I will continue to read. this is a great local blog.

Anonymous said...

If you just didn't like the songs I'd say yeah, different strokes. I don't get mad or bummed on that. I was mainly responding to your "Practice!" comment. We don't practice. We're not a real band. We don't even all live in the same city. We do it occasionally for fun & I was psyched that that many people stuck around & watched. Enough that I'm fairly confident that we weren't SO off time that people couldn't follow the songs. Or if they couldn't, they must've liked something else about it.

-miller

archbishop said...

I thought the set was great. It reminded me of the good things about the Loft. Probably because I had a 12 pack of Pabst I stole from gbomb.

Anonymous said...

I got 3, but now that you brought it up, you know how you said that you are less annoying than you used to be? I guess it's somewhat true, but you sure did annoy me on Saturday. It was just like old times.

Keep your hands to yourself,
gbomb

Patrone said...

J: How is expressing a counter-opinion 'flaming?' Did I say, 'stop posting?' or 'get bent?' or 'your opinion sucks?' ...okay, maybe I said that last one. Still, If you offer a strong opinion, you've gotta expect a strong response occasionally.

-Patrone