Thursday, November 15, 2007

first things first

First things first, the tapping of the beaujolais cask and the ten percent discount at 58 is tonight. I tried to go by yesterday but no dice.

Second things second-I checked out Bows and Arrows last night, intending to just be there 5 minutes to get a gift certificate and I ended up being there for over and hour and buying a kitchen table and a handmade dress, and smiller got two pairs of shoes. The place is insanely rad! I didn't expect it to have so much good shit. Now I just have to try to sell some stuff to get some credit there.

Third things third-the English Singles have been added to that friday house show!!!

Fourth things fourth-I went to Oz Korean BBQ for the first time in over a year yesterday. That place has gotten really weird. In addition to the flatscreens and signed Kings stuff, etc., they have made a real effort to make their menus accessible and not scary by making up English names for the dishes, like calling a seafood soup Korean cioppino. And they have like chicken finger appetizers and shit. It gives it a weird vibe. Our server was really awesome but I really had very little idea what she was saying or what we had ordered until it came to the table. The confusion centered around us trying to order one of the expensive soups that said that it was for two. Turns out it's in a giant cauldron and is really for like 4 or 5. And then we somehow ended up ordering two plates of bbqed meat (pre-bbqed, we didn't sit at the table). One was a kind of plain, thinly sliced beef that I liked a lot on the lettuce with the salty bean paste. I think the other was bulgogi, but it was too sweet for me and not spicy enough. Too much like beef with KC masterpiece on it. It annoyed me that the server warned us about the spiciness of everything and then it wasn't spicy at all, and I'm not some kind of macho "bring on the spice" person. The seafood in the soup was not very high quality and the broth was bland. The one really interesting thing was that there were tons of these gray pods floating in the soup that looked like eyeballs. I felt brave for biting into one before I knew what it was. It had liquid inside and something hard. I asked the server and she said there's no western name for it, but that it was in fact some kind of kelp that you don't eat but that the prize is the soup squirting out in your mouth when you bite down. Crazy! I found the pods to have a light soapy or perfumey taste, in addition to the fishiness of the soup.

8 comments:

beckler said...

here's a cool article on the finches. nice to see someone gets the concept of a timeless pop song, unlike stupid pitchfork

http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=4937&catid=107

Anonymous said...

Beckler, do you like beaujolais nouveau? I think I have been affected by William Rolle's hatred of it. It's not my fave. I want to hear what you think dog.
E.C.

beckler said...

my mind is open to this stuff because i like the idea of it going straight from the cask to my dome, but as per mh's october article in midtown monthly, i think i prefer my beaujolais non-nouveau. would rolle rail against it?

Anonymous said...

Your blog is blocked at work, but I can read part of your posts on google reader. I am shocked that no one has yet told you about when we went to Oz for Miss B's birthday and they let her spin the birthday wheel which had prizes like a box of kleenex, a bag of pasta, lotion. I believe she won a bar of Dial soap. Which is actually more than I got her, as Oz Korean BBQ is a better friend than I.

gbomb

Anonymous said...

Oh yes he would rail against it. He totally hates it.

Ella

beckler said...

see that birthday wheel thing just shows that they are taking their cues from mikuni, which makes great sense from a business perspective but doesn't point to great food.

i really liked the beaujolais at 58 last night. it was really different from normal wine, but in this case in a good way. I wasn't crazy about the estery, banana-y whiff I got every time I took a drink, but overall I liked the flavor and the light juiciness.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was great. Seems maybe more enjoyable as its own thing since it's not as complex as a lot of other wines but I really enjoyed it. I'd rather pay $6 for a glass of that than Rolle's Trader Joe's-ass wine!

-miller

Anonymous said...

Oooh La La! Miller!

I like the idea of a young wine too. I think maybe I just had a nasty Nouveau. Next time I'm near a cask of it, I'll try it again!

Can't you guys come to Poinsettia after the bike ride? I'll buy the brew. The weather is supposed to be nice.

EC