Monday, November 26, 2007

happy hmong new year (yesterday)

I'm bummed I missed out on the Hmong New Year celebration at Cal Expo, but this year it fell right on thanksgiving and there was just too much other stuff going on. I already marked it on my 2008 calendar so I'll go if I'm even alive by then.

Have any of you ever been to or even noticed Kobasic's candies waaayyy out on Riverside Blvd? They have a lot of handmade candies there, truffles, bars, bark, etc. I was riding my bike to the Pocket yesterday (which was really fun!) and I saw it and went in. I get peanut brittle and English toffee and it was fucking good. They have cute boxes and stuff for those who like to give candy as a gift. Blow off Sees and get your gifts here!
Here was the sunset over the river on the way home. Too bad the stupid bike trail keeps getting blocked off at points due to the city not owning all the stretches of levee.
I was craving spicy soup so we went to Korea house. I got the pork and kimchi soup. It was pretty good, but smiller's sea bass soup had the exact same broth and vegetables and I think that's a little lazy of them. The panchan was great and as usual there was one I'd never had before, that one with the black beans there. The beans were really chewy and dense and had a salty, licorice-y flavor. It's really hard for me to get a handle on Korean food. I love the bbq, I know that. But the food is kinda pricey so I shy away from trying new things that I might not like. The menu at Korean house had a ton of short descriptions of dishes that sound intriguing, but I know they are leaving something out. Like "cold noodles with spicy sauce" for 10.99. There's got to be more to that! I want to branch out from the standard short ribs and bibimbap but I don't know where to start.


,

5 comments:

DB said...

There are new CH quotes on Movie City Usa.

Hey Becks, I have decided to steal your screengrab bit and pawn it off as my own. I hope that's cool.

archbishop said...

I work with a pretty cool Hmong. I asked if there were any Hmong restaurants around here and he said nope, but it's basically the same as Laotian. Another reason to visit Ventiane.

Anonymous said...

You need to Yelp Kobasic's! I keep forgetting it's there...I go straight when Riverside turns under the freeway...

beckler said...

I could but amy p. and the man of leisure already wrote nice yelps of it. i'll write one just to put it into the new yelp queue I guess

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving Kobasic's a shout out...