Monday, August 08, 2011

Happy Jerry Day (belated) !

First things first, did you guys know the Chili Peppers played at the Henry Miller Library in Big Sur recently?  Sadly, I found out about it after the fact.

KING TUFF WEDNESDAY FUCK YESSSSSS!!!Yeah, yeah, it's in Davis not Sac, but still, show of the year.  The Bike Collective is a cool place to see a show.

According to the poll you guys want to see more rants?  I guess I can oblige.  Can we talk about those gross shoes with toes?  They are a big trend in Davis.  Not really a full-blown rant.

I didn't take many digitial photos while I was gone.  I have a film camera now so I've been taking those.  
 I was in Stinson Beach for a week living the Ultimate Lifestyle (TM).  The Northern Cali Coastal Lifestyle.  And of course the Grateful Dead is a big part of that.    We finally watched this Sunshine Daydream bootleg DVD that I procured through dubious channels.  A show from '72 at a dairy farm that was somehow related to Ken Kesey.
 There's lots of people getting naked, which is cool except in the case of this emaciated Jesus guy who was waggling his weiner right behind the stage with a pained expression on his face.  Yucko.  Jerry was unperturbed.
 Weir didn't seem to notice either.  Weir lives in Mill Valley now and I was praying for a sighting, but it didn't happen.  We even went to a rad beer bar where he's known to hang out, but no luck.
 Jerry's hand was prominently featured in this movie and it really looks like a claw.
 Here's Jerry in the zone, trying to ignore the dude.
 There were stony visuals in the movie as well, like this manatee with lipstick on.  How stoned was I?  The 30 minute version of Darkstar was not boring, I'll just say that.
 Then, on our way home from Stinson we swung by Jerry Day in SF.  I'm sure you knew it was Jerry day, right?  I was a little disappointed by how few Grateful Dead covers were played.
 This dude - not disappointed.
Also not disappointed.  In fact, he chilled there by himself after we left!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Ganglians record release and the King Tuff should/should have united under one banner. If Mayor KJ can keep the Kings in Sacto, he can reach out to Ele/Davis and make this happen.

NM

Anonymous said...

Chili Peppers played July 29 in Nevada City at a secret/private show.

beckler said...

Nah, I think Sac/Davis area is big enough that we won't break under the weight of one show. I love the Ganglians but there is no question about which one to attend for me. I think King Tuff is touring with Audacity, so that probably effected things. That said, it was pretty thrilling when Happy Birthday (King Tuff side thing) sold out the Hub, but it's hard to recapture serendipitous experiences like that.

Where did the Chili Peppers play?!?! Insane.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I don't know how to post a proper link, but here's an article on the Peppers in Nevada City:
http://www.theunion.com/article/20110801/BREAKINGNEWS/110809996

The rest us can just watch a live broadcast of them, at a movie theater: http://blogs.sacbee.com/ticket/archives/2011/08/-if-you-were-no.html

beckler said...

ha! the subhead is "invitees didn't 'give it away'"

Anonymous said...

Kazakgascar played a secret show up there a few weeks ago too.

Jed

Anonymous said...

I'm the psyched cute mom you saw at the Ganglians show...You are right about my family...next time to the back of the room they go...they mean well, and love the band, but they have no idea how to have fun at a GaNGly show! Thanks for coming out to support them and thanks for the mention in your blog...