Thursday, August 18, 2011

Rooney rant!

I like the picture because I can't tell what thing is.  An antique speculum?

I remembered what I wanted to rant about.  Balsamic vinegar.  Chefs need to stop making it their go-to thing.  We all know why people love it - it's super sweet.  And yes, in the right setting, I like it, too.  But there are other vinegars in the world.  Many others.  Sherry vinegar, champagne vinegar, apple cider vinegar.  And all of those are not sweet at all!  Most dishes need to be less sweet, not more.  This rant was occasioned because I saw a review of the Garlic Shack in Submerge and they had a putrid-sounding dish of greenbeans that came with a garlic, balsamic, wasabi aioli.  Also, waffles with garlic in them served with syrup.

6 comments:

Snufkin said...

Balsamic glaze is overdone, but the one that sounds so unappetizing is in pairings with strawberries. Salad maybe, but I've got zero interest in making (or buying) balsamic strawberry ice cream or macarons.

In general if I have to choose a vinegar when cooking, I'd take rice wine over balsamic.

Anonymous said...

I agree, I realized that I dont have any balsamic at home anymore.
way over done.

BTW antique roach clip.

Natalie.

Sacramento Punk Shows said...

thank you for speaking the truth about balsamic. But I would have liked a little more ranty anger.

hyphylli

DJ Rick said...

It looks like one of those steel merchandising racks that protrude from a sorta pegboard. Like, the kinda you yank a pack of gummi candies off of when you're at the check-stand.

Liv Moe said...

i was skeptical of strawberries with balsamic until i tried it and i really liked it. unfortunately, a large percentage of balsamic vinegar is actually just run of the mill red wine vinegar dolled up with caramel color, sweeteners, and thickeners. the real thing is more expensive and takes a long time to produce. after i learned this i now read the label on balsamic whenever i consider buying it and most often times this is the case. when it says "Modena" on the label you know you'e in trouble.

and yea, it's way overused. it's like the raspberry vinaigrette of the teens.

Anonymous said...

I think Andy Rooney is holding the device they use to trim those eyebrows of his. It take a crew of two to operate.