Friday, March 06, 2020

My girl Agnes

Nosferatu at the Crocker was cool. It was just slightly boring, but the Count is super eerie. The Crocker is tying in their silent film series into their big exhibit from Granville Redmond, who was  a deaf painter who was buds with Charlie Chaplin and acted in silent films. He did a lot of California landscapes. They are pretty (dude sure loved California poppies!) but the overall effect is not stirring. One of the most interesting things is that one of the best paintings was from the collection of David Mamet and Rebecca Pidgeon.

Going led to me re-upping my membership because half of the ticket cost could be applied, so that's good. I went to go visit my girl Agnes Pelton' "Winter" painting because it's my fave in the collection and it's currently not up.

I know if Scott is reading this he is thinking I missed it because that has happened before, where I thought it was gone but it was there, but I swear they had a different painting in its place (but thematically similar) and I know it's where the Pelton was because the Georgia O'Keefe was next to it and they get lumped in from studying with same guy. Anyway, hope it is back soon and also Agnes is on the cover of the March Art Forum, which I tried to buy at NewsBeat the other day but which they don't have in stock yet.

And speaking of female painters, and women being underrated in everything, women reading this are probably feeling that bummer feeling from Warren dropping out, where you realize that we will never be seen as equally competent and valid compared to men. Hard to shake that bummer. So many times at work (again yesterday) I am told by people that they have heard other people questioning my competence and qualifications for the work I do, and I just wonder if I was a dude if that would be happening. There is no way to know, so that's why it is crazy-making


1 comment:

Scott Miller said...

Testing me to see if I'm reading!