Wednesday, December 08, 2010

dribs and drabs

First a word about the new header. I know it's gross! I tried to do a Christmas one but the sizing was wrong. I will change it soon.

Next, a little reportage on the mayor's Greenwise meeting. I wasn't going to take notes but then UC Davis Chancellor Katehi was there unexpectedly (to me) and she made me barf by talking about the UC allying with business. A quote is something something "bring manufacturing to this region because that's where the jobs are". Excuse me, is that a really important part of the UC mission? I thought the primary UC mission was to provide affordable education to the top graduating seniors in California.

The Greenwise meeting was wayyy more business-y than I expected and corporate culture always freaks me out because I'm never exposed to it. Everyone sucked up to the mayor like crazy (pretty much the whole meeting was about everyone congratulating everyone else), and he got called "hip" AT LEAST ten times. The mayor of Portland got up and said a lot of vague things. Then KJ got up and patted himself on the back and told a pretty funny story (I have to admit) about being taken to Chez Panisse when he was a basketball player at Berkeley and had no idea what any of the food on the menu was. I know I probably sound naive about how these things go, which is true. I am. I try to avoid things like this because they make me feel really powerless, even in my own rather small city.

Alice Waters seemed to be the only speaker with a pulse. Some of her talk was rote, but she got looser during questions and even got in a line about how terrible things are with the UC system these days and how she paid 95 dollars a semester to attend UC Berkeley. That may have made Katehi squirm a bit. Steve Cohn asked a question about chickens, because apparently he is pro-chicken but others on the city council are not. Right then I wanted to jump in and ask a question about the food cart ban because it seemed like a good opportunity to bust his chops for voting for it but then questions were over.

Anyway, yeah I watched Star 80, the movie directed by Bob Fosse about Dorothy Stratten, the playmate who was killed at age 20 by her boyfriend.
It looks really cool but it's sooo grim!
I was reading about in Fosse's (excellent) bio last night and I guess no one could understand why he wanted to film such a sordid story and critics loathed it in general. Pauline Kael hated it. I think Siskel and Ebert liked it, especially Siskel.




Yay Christmas

15 comments:

beckler said...

my bike was stoken a couple of days ago. anyone have a bike for sale? here's what I want:
man-sized
at least three gears
old and looks cool

I think that covers it

Liv Moe said...

man that post had it all. political intrigue/annoyance, playmate murder, AND Christmas.

that's fucking lame about your bike. i'll keep my eye out for bike-age.

beckler said...

my weinerdog boot scraper was also recently stolen from the porch! times are tough, I guess.

3DChain said...

Have you seen Eric Roberts on the new Celebrity Rehab? oof.

beckler said...

No! But I will be sure to try to watch that. I recently watched the first season of Celebrity Rehab and it is hard to look away. Roberts is really good in Star 80. Really good at playing a creepy sociopath.

Snufkin said...

It was great to run into you. I totally forgot, but my mom has on her own started reading MidMo and told me the other day that she really enjoys your articles.

The aren't we all great portion of that event was ridiculous. Not to mention the choice of local speakers - but glad Waters was able to get in that editorial comment about what's being done to the UC system.

Oh and besides suddenly embracing chickens, too bad none of the elected officials seems to know that Sacramento has in fact had a pretty successful urban/victory garden program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaRpojgWswE

http://www.sacramentohistory.org/films_victory.html

beckler said...

does anyone know where everybody had lunch? a whole posse of VIPs went out to lunch with Waters and the mayor

BC said...

So what is the status of the food cart law? There is a new gyro cart at McKinley Park, and a hot dog stand at the Chevron station on 29th and E. Are they ignoring the law or somehow exempt?

I will ask if Jeremy wants to sell his men's Schwinn three-speed. It is old and looks cool but it needs work.

Anonymous said...

Carts with pre-prepared food are legal. Preparing food in carts is against the law.

Becky, you should shop in Beth's bike basement, I have gotten a lot of good deals there.

I think it's funny that both you and the Sellands facebook page mentioned Alice Water's view on urban chickens, but ther was no mention of chickens in the Bee article.

gbomb

beckler said...

Not sure about the Bee reporter, but the press people started to bail at the end. I don't think they all stayed for the whole thing. But they ended up bailing about 5 minutes before it ended, so might as well stay.

Anonymous said...

Celebrity Rehab? Is that where people restore Celebrity wagons?

-skpr

undercover caterer said...

I got interviewed the other day for some other local rag about underground eating shit and I brought up the whole food cart thing--told them about the food truck fest for next summer so maybe it'll get some buzz?

I like your fireplace! Cute.

Anonymous said...

Is the gyros place by McKinley park the red one that is at the Cesar Chavez farmer's market? Coz that shit is delicious.

gbomb

Anonymous said...

"Star 80" = Barnesyard-approved best American film of 1983. The complete list back to 1930 is on the Cinema Scoped Facebook page.

BC said...

gbomb: yeah, I think it's the same one.